GBA games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

righty, to compliment my new Micro I'm after some brilliant GBA games. I've got about 15 or so already but I want to hear what you guys think are worthwhile purchases. especially as christmas money, birthday money AND my 2nd student loan all hit me around the same time :D

shoot! I'm after about 4-5 of your 'absolute must have' GBA games.

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I loved zelda:4 swords but it is old now and I would also pick up a marioland game(old style mario).

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1) MegaMan Battle Network 3. Not 1 or 2. Not 4 or 5. 3 rocks. The ones earlier than 3 suck, the ones after 4 are overcomplicated, slower paced, very short and don't have near as many unlockables. MMBN3 is my favorite multiplayer GBA game of all time, if you have another friend who has the game too and has an equally-powerful character. And I have over 80 hours in single player.

2) Pick any one of the MegaMan Zero games. The higher the number, the easier it is but also the more cool moves they have (4 has the most variety of attacks you can get, but is the easiest; 1 has the least special stuff, no EX skills and stuff, but has the highest difficulty level). Say what you will about MegaMan and MegaMan X being old and tired on the consoles (X8? Ew), the MegaMan Zero games are by far the best platformers I've played on the GBA. I know it is heresy, but I liked it better than Gunstar Heroes.

3) I liked Mario Kart Super Circuit a lot. No online like the DS version, sadly, but if you like Mario Kart, get this game. IGN gave it 9.5.

4) Any Zelda games. I don't know if the Micro can play the old GBC or GB games, but Link's Awakening is incredible. Minish Cap for GBA is also very, very good.

5) Metroid Fusion is a must buy. Great, awesome game. I haven't played Zero Mission but I imagine it must be good.

4. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

would help a lot if we knew what your current 15 games are : ]

hmm, off the top of my head, i'd say:
    advance wars 1 and 2
    wario ware
    bomberman tournament (if you have friends to play multyplayer, 1 player is pretty cool though)
    metroid fusion
    golden sun (must have for rpg fans i'd say)
    sonic advance
    hoshi no kirby (kirby's stars i think its called in the uk)
    mario and luigi 1 (2 is for DS right?)

and thats all i can think of... damn, thinking of these games makes me want to play : ]
    damn you, now i want a micro more than ever!!

what colour did you get? how much you pay for it?

peace

5. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I was about to start a similar thread yesterday with a slightly different theme. I bought a couple of gameboy advance SPs for my 7 year old and 5 year old, and I wanted to know what are considered the absolute best games. I bought Mario Kart Super Circuit from eBay and one of the Namco packs for me (pacman, galaxian, etc); the little one loves spongebob and I got her a dual pack; we also were given Lego Star Wars, which seems good. I also got the cable connector so they can race each other. So my question is two fold; I guess-- what are the best games period; and what are the best games for the little ones, especially head to head games.

6. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

if they're into it, you should efinaltey get them pokemon (though im not sure which is the newest one out)
    if you get the two different versions, they can collect different pokemon, and then trade with each other. they can also battle each other.

but it may be a little too complex for them, im not sure. i didnt play video games when i was 7 so i cant say : ]

mario kart is a good choice, they should enjoy that.

i can't really think of much else, you seem to have a nice selection.
    im sure advance wars wouldnt go down well with younger kids, even i have trouble with it, and im 20! : ]

hope they enjoy their game boy sp's : ]

peace

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

gah! unfortunately I seem to have most games mentioned here. I've never been a fan of Megaman though. It just seemed too much like a perfect cross between Metroid and Turrican. 2 games I love but not together.

I absolutely LOVE Golden Sun. I played the first but took it back for Mario World (lord knows how long I've waited to finally play that game). I keep trying to finish Golden Sun 2 but I'm stuck at this boss in the Treasure Cave that really is impossible. I give up battling him after an hour.

I'm thinking i might pick up Pokemon Emerald. I love a good pokemon game, though I've played through Ruby I wouldn't mind another visit to Hoenn. the new features sound brilliant!

Advance Wars really is a classic but like Cartoonfox I'm stuck... but on all 3 games! Playing with mates is very fun though. I'm actually hoping to have a 4 player sometime with 3 games going at once. SP, Micro and DS all being passed around in a ring. hah. could be fun.

8. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Pokemon is awesome

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

aye only problem is Emerald is extremely expensive as far as GBA games go. Its fetching £25 cheapest online, or £35 in shops. same as a DS game which are generally £5 more. i only paid £19.99 for Ruby and Firered near launch!

ahh... GBMicro and Pokemon Emerald would be a dream come true.

Anyone have comments about Metal Slug Advance and if thats worth while purchasing?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Anyone mention Zelda: Minish Cap :) I love that game

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Like I said, the handheld Megaman games are NOTHING like the console ones.

In the MegaMan Zero games, it's an extremely fast paced platformer but it concentrates on melee weapons like the saber, not guns like the MegaMan X games. The saber rocks.

The MegaMan Battle Network games are NOTHING like Metroid and Turrican. It's an RPG- both turn based and real time. You take turns choosing your 'chips', or attacks (which can be combined for even better ones) but then move in real time and use your attacks while dodging your opponent. It gets really intense late in the game. The videos on IGN appear really bad for some reason, because it's in the beginning of the game when all the attacks such, and IGN just REALLY sucks at the game, getting beaten by the weakest enemies. Seriously, get Battle Network 3 used somewhere.

12. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

That game is good as well

13. Jomoma macrumors regular

Jomoma

I love my gba flash cart. It's a few years old, 256. But it holds 4 games and a ton of old NES games. totally worth it, you can dump your games to your mac, back up game saves, and not cart around a bunch of games.

Anyone else have one?

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Advance Wars, Advance Wars 2, Pokémon Ruby, Link To The Past/Four Swords, Mario Kart

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

nonono I'm not going to get one of those :) I wouldn't feel right playing copied Nintendo games.

I ordered Pokemon Emerald and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (I think its called) off eBay last night. I'm pretty sure my mum has ordered a game or 2 for me. Probably DS games though.
    Also swagged the first Golden Sun off my girlfriend. Even though I'm on the final boss on The Lost Age :rolleyes:

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I plan to buy an M3 Adapter. It adds 32 MB of RAM to the system and takes CF cards and acts like a Flash card. Add a PassMe or PassKey, and you can boot it in DS mode. It has built in movie playing software and NES and SNES and GB emulators, plus NDS and GBA rom multibooters, picture viewing software, music playing software, etc.

I too, like raggedjimmi, feel guilty about playing copied games (even games you own are illegal to download unless you rip them yourself), however a $15 cable lets you rip GBA roms quite legally, and load all your GBA games onto one cartridge :D

It also lets you run hundreds of homebrew games people make. And DSLinux.

You already have a Flash cart, if you buy a PassMe you can boot it in DS mode and run Moonshell (an MP3 player) and a video player and SNES emulators (SnesDS, still WIP) on your current cartridge. But remember, unless you rip the SNES games themselves it's illegal to download the roms.

I plan to legally rip all my GBA games onto one cartridge.

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

That sounds like a plan. But I've found that, well through crappy eBay sellers, that copied games on GBA takes away some key features. My official LttP can't see my girlfriends eBay LttP. No Four Swords for us.

Actually! I could rip/download my GB collection and stick them onto one card. To play Mario Land again on that bloody awesome Micro screen...

how much are these things and where from?! in the UK. if possible.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If you have a GBA or GBA SP, you can use this:

http://www.goodylands.com/G12a1.html

$9.99 + shipping
    Hook it to the GBA SP or GBA and rip the game.

The DS doesn't have the link port and I *think* the Micro probably blocks it. So if you only have a DS and a Micro, the more expensive one works:

http://www.goodylands.com/G12a2.html

$19.99 + shipping, works independently of the system.

Both allow you to legally rip your own games.

Then you'll need any GBA Flash Cart (of desired size), or the M3 Adapter (SD or CF version) or Supercard (SD or CF version) or G6.

Not sure where to find a UK link.

The M3 has the best movie playback in terms of supported formats and framerate, the others don't have built in movie playback but you can download apps to do it.

If you want to run it in full DS mode (faster processor and full screen) you also have to buy a PassMe. But if you just want it for the Micro, then you just need one of those and a way to rip the games if you want that.

I'm planning to buy an M3 Adapter, PassKey (same thing as PassMe), CF card and the above cable after I get my DS repaired with Nintendo, I'll report on how it works for movie playback and running legal roms. :)

And it looks like you should be able to rip old GB and GBC games onto it (and there is Goomba, a homebrew GBC/GB emulator that runs on the GBA) so you should be able to run those on the Micro.

19. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

mmmm...Final Fantasy IV Advance

Wonderful game if you are a fan of the original SNES game.

Hickman

20. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Any Metroid, Zelda, or Mario games would be worth it.
    Also, look at the NES Classic Series games.

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

22. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Metal slug is awesome. I played it for xbox, and it was sweet but its gotta be better on the GBA, and has any one used a micro? I got a DS and I love the 2D sided\scrollers (Castlevania etc) and the GBA micro might be an option...

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I usually don't recommend a micro if you have a DS. They do the same thing basically and that's $100 that you could have used to buy 3 new GBA games.

24. PharmD macrumors 6502

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
    Metroid Fusion
    Metroid Zero Mission
    Zelda Minish Cap
    Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Advance Wars

25. steelfist macrumors 6502a

the only games i play on my gameboy advance: megaman zero series. ALL of them. you should go in chronological order too. the storyline is quite good for me. the artwork is diffrent from the x series, and i think it is better. the 8 bosses of megaman zero 3 is my favorite, because they have a human-like appearance, and they are more human-like. can't wait for megaman zero 5.