GBA SP or Micro?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sigamy, Mar 22, 2006.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Hello. I'm not a gamer. Never have been. I'm 33 and the last game I played often was NHL 95 on Sega Genesis. I was thinking about getting a gameboy to play NHL 2002 (same as '95) once in a while.

I've also been reading about the Game Boy micro. It looks really cool, nice and small. I went to a few stores and everyone recommends the GBA SP. I actually did buy a used SP with the new screen for $60. I've only had it for a few hours, and haven't played it much but it just seems to big for what I want and feels like this unit is more for kids. (I guess all game boys are for kids, right?)

It seems like I am the target market for the micro--an adult who wants to play an occassional game with a very small, pocketable and stylish device.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me it is ok to spend more money on a system with a smaller screen that plays less games.

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think the GBA SP is soo much nicer than the micro. My gf has an SP and plays all the time (she's 21). I've seen the micro and the screen is too small for me and I would worry about it getting scratched. The SP is great because it is so rugged and the screen folds over the buttons for solid protection. Save some money and stay with the SP.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Tough call.

If you're not a gamer then forget about legacy support, the SP can play old GB games. ok...

SP- Very neat, very 'mature' design (at least my black one), bad sound, ok buttons, digital backlight (on/off).

Micro- Very small and light, screen is amazing, better sound, best buttons on a handheld, alterable backlight.

Basically both handhelds have their own merits. I'd go for the micro myself with its much better buttons, sound and screen. I'm 20, 5'11 and it fits in my hands just fine.

4. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

Sigamy,

The micro is what you need. I'm 25 and am in the same boat as you. I'm not a gamer, I just want some small fun, convenient games.

The Micro's screen is actually better than the new SP, thanks to a much improved refresh rate. I've had the micro for 4 months with the same faceplate and have no visible scratches. And if I did, I'd just switch faceplates. Everyone who sees my micro thinks it is a sleek, fun product. Holding an SP is embarrassing infront of anyone above 16. Not so with the micro. i've gotten a ton of compliments from the 21-death demograhic thanks to the micro, which only leads to me having to let that person play with it.

Until the DS lite is launched in the U.S., its the best handheld screen on the market.

5. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

Yea I'd go with the micro... there are the shallow reasons, like it being cooler and not looking like a toy. I hate to admit it but I'll play my micro in public, but not my SP. There are a number of other more functional reasons as well. The buttons are much nicer, it's more comfortable to me than the SP, screen is sweet, very very portable.

6. sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Vlad and Rich! I agree 100%. I know the SP may be the better value but I just can't get past the fact that it is for 8 year olds.

I got a great deal on a micro from someone right here at macrumors. That made the decision a no-brainer. I think I'll be much happier with the micro.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hm, this really opened my eyes to how image conscience most people are. Perhaps this is why the PSP is selling enough to stay afloat? I suppose I've never cared about what people thought, and never had anybody think anything at all of my SP.

In fact during my stretch in the military I saw lots and lots of SPs in use with guys from the 19-30 range. In fact, I saw more SPs there than I did anywhere near any schools. The Micro wasn't available then, but I bet the SP is still more popular in that crowd since the clam shell design is probably a bit tougher and can be tossed in the pocket pretty safely.

I wonder how many GBA's are in Iraq at any given time. It's gotta be in the 10,000's. A good 1/3 of the guys in my unit had a GBA. Some of them "borrowed" their kids when they got deployed (though they generally bought them a new one :)). Nintendo should capitalize on that. Distribute a free game (something a little older, but still fun. SMB3 or something like that) to the PX's overseas?

8. crachoar macrumors 6502a

The SP is still my favorite system to this day - despite the terrible speaker and lack of a headphone jack.

Still, I'd pick the new 'Bright Screen!' version over the Micro. The shoulder buttons on the Micro just don't do it for me. Besides, the lack of a clamshell upsets me. The 'just buy a new screen protector' thing doesn't work for me either.

Who cares what people thinks? The SP plays all GB games, it's functional (minus headphones), small and sturdy. I say, stick with the SP.

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Man, if I knew any military guys with a SP I'd totally ship 'em a Rhinoskin for their SP. Makes it a tad bit thicker, but it's a damn rhino skin. Durability out the wazoo.

[​IMG]

I have one and it's saved my butt numerous times.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Cool, never seen that before. They make one for the DS? :D For what it's worth, my SP held up wonderfully through all the torture I put it through. Never took it to the desert though. I know a few guys who did, and the worst that happened was they got some sand into the screen somehow. Those things are tough.