Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Yes, some of their old games, or about 2% of the overall Nintendo 8-bit/16-bit library. Groovy..
I'm not sure if you mean Nintendo developed titles, or just NES/GB/SNES games in general. Either way though, it's not as easy as just dumping all the titles in their eShop (and for titles not developed or published by them, it may be impossible). I can admit their virtual console is far from perfect, but you can't really say that they don't offer you a legal way to play their old games. They definitely do.

----------

That's not what the emulator is doing.

"an in-app web browser that could used to download Game Boy games from any ROM website." You may want to read the article.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Its not like your could really play these games on the devices anyways. Without a control nintendo games on a touchscreen are way to hard to play. Nintendo was all about gameplay, without buttons that's impossible, except for certain games that don't require precise movements like rpg's or something.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why doesn't Nintendo do the same to android apps on Google Play?

Ridiculous

I'm not familiar with the google app store, but they may very well do that. Just because they haven't moved on it yet doesn't mean they won't. Look how long it took them to issue the DMCA take down for this.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Wow, negative comments. I love how Nintendo enforcing their intellectual property rights, by not letting people illegally download their games, is bad choice. :rolleyes:

I bet these are the same people that talk bad about Samsung. What a bunch of hypocrites on this site!

Pair

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
The only legal way to play their old games is on a Wii U. That is just ridiculous.
What a bizarre sense of entitlement.

350x700px-LL-dad7a6ed_nathan-fillion-firefly-gif.gif

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

Ridiculous

You can easily side load any app you want on Android. Even Google took down a well known ad blocking app but you can still side load the apk. And this can be done on any retail non hacked device out the box; just have to check off "install from unknown sources" within settings. The downside is that there is a security risk but it's a risk that plenty of people take for the convenience.
Nintendo would be wasting their time trying to block this on Android. It could actually grow in popularity if it was blocked. Another reason why Android is winning the war.

----------

Its not like your could really play these games on the devices anyways. Without a control nintendo games on a touchscreen are way to hard to play. Nintendo was all about gameplay, without buttons that's impossible, except for certain games that don't require precise movements like rpg's or something.

Did not realize that you can't connect a generic Bluetooth controller like you could on Android. Heck, even a PS3 controller could be connected with a $2 app. Even a Wii gaming pad can be used with the nunchuck to connect to Bluetooth.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
No it wouldn't because there are far more Apple haters on here than supporters. This post is proof of this, as it is the norm instead of the exception.

Yes, because my post indicated I hated Apple didn't it? This post is proof of this, as I type it out on my iMac. :rolleyes:

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011

Ridiculous

To my knowledge no emulators on Google Play enable ROM downloads through the app, you need to get them from other sources. Well, that's how my NES, SNES and PSX emulators are, anyway.

Square Enix has really done this the best, by re-releasing mobile friendly games (like the FF series) on mobile platforms.

Last edited:

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Apple should buy or build a game company to produce iOS/Mac exclusive games. I think that would be a great way to spend their overflowing money.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
The usual Apple fan hypocrisy at its best!

Apple protects its IP - "Well done Apple, take them to the cleaners etc etc"
Nintendo protects its IP - "Hope Nintendo go bust, Stupid move Nintendo etc etc"

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The only legal way to play their old games is on a Wii U. That is just ridiculous.

Or buy a GBA (cheap now). Or whatever system you want emulated. If you want to emulate you can get them on the Wii (wider choice of retro games) or 3DS. Both cheaper than the Wii U.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Apple should buy or build a game company to produce iOS/Mac exclusive games. I think that would be a great way to spend their overflowing money.

Really, when it's all said and done, not many hardware makers TRULY make first party games anymore. Nintendo pioneered it, and they're protecting them, but the vast majority of games are developed by third parties. Really, all they need to do is what they kind of already do - partner with developers and give them money to release only on iOS, or make it a timed exclusive.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That's not quite true. You can play their old games on a 3DS/2DS as well (Or buy their old hardware). And that isn't ridiculous. OS X only runs on Macs. iOS only runs on iDevices. No one seems to be mad at Apple for keeping their products exclusive, why should Nintendo be any different? Because you don't want to pay for their consoles? That's a terrible reason. If you want to play Nintendo games, buy a Nintendo console. Want to play Halo? Buy an Xbox. Want to play God of War? Buy a Playstation. It's not a hard concept.
Or Wii! Dirt cheap now, has a large library of retro games on the eShop.

I just think some people want their phone to do everything, which is impossible. The games aren't as good as ones on Nintendo or Sony handhelds, the camera isn't as good as my SLR, the browser isn't as good as my desktop and can't even run Flash. Phones are the very definition of jack of all trades, master of none. Except making phone calls. They're really good at that!

The Wii U is their first flop in a while. I'm pretty sure they'll be ok.
Bingo! The 3DS fell below expectations for this quarter only, otherwise it's doing great and has a good shot at being the best selling console ever (it's neck and neck with the DS at this point of its life and that very almost overtook the PS2 as the most-sold console).

----------

Really, when it's all said and done, not many hardware makers TRULY make first party games anymore. Nintendo pioneered it, and they're protecting them, but the vast majority of games are developed by third parties. Really, all they need to do is what they kind of already do - partner with developers and give them money to release only on iOS, or make it a timed exclusive.

Each manufacturer has quite a few 1st party developers. But mostly now they act as advisers and IP owners.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011

I just think some people want their phone to do everything, which is impossible. The games aren't as good as ones on Nintendo or Sony handhelds, the camera isn't as good as my SLR, the browser isn't as good as my desktop and can't even run Flash. Phones are the very definition of jack of all trades, master of none. Except making phone calls. They're really good at that!

Bingo! The 3DS fell below expectations for this quarter only, otherwise it's doing great and has a good shot at being the best selling console ever (it's neck and neck with the DS at this point of its life and that very almost overtook the PS2 as the most-sold console).

----------

Each manufacturer has quite a few 1st party developers. But mostly now they act as advisers and IP owners.

Manufacturer of what? Hardware consoles? Of course there are going to be a few, but the majority aren't when you look at the entire catalog for a platform.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I've never been able to get used to touch screen controls in emulators, and I have the original consoles, so this doesn't bother me too much.

That said -- something super cool was I took my iPad to my college Spanish class, hooked it up to the projector, and using a SteelSeries controller played The Legend of Zelda; Minish Cap using the Spanish localization. We had a to of fun figuring out what was being said!

So while not as easy as using an actual GBA -- it had it's merits. Hopefully a modified version will be back soon!

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Wow, negative comments. I love how Nintendo enforcing their intellectual property rights, by not letting people illegally download their games, is bad choice. :rolleyes:

Well technically I believe it's only illegal if you don't currently own a copy of the game you have downloaded.

boscovn

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
More devices

What's the point of enforcing their intellectual property rights if they don't use them for sales? Instead of having their old releases available only for the latest nintendo hardware, they should make their virtual console available for android or iOS, even windows and Mac OS in order to make more money and avoid these third party emulators.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
No it wouldn't because there are far more Apple haters on here than supporters. This post is proof of this, as it is the norm instead of the exception.

Our founder who art in heaven, hallowed be thy na..........
Oh, it's not the same guy is it?

Your post has made you come across as the ultimate shortsighted fanbois. Someone with a balanced view would see that Apple are ravenous when it comes to defendng IP. It doesn't mean you're a hater to point out the wrongs and parallels.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth

And 3DS. I have plenty.

----------

I would happily pay $60 per console quality Nintendo games on iOS.

Have you seen the price of the successful iOS games? I would love to see Nintendo games on iOS (though I'm fearful of how no buttons would work), I don't think the majority of people would pay $60.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Well technically I believe it's only illegal if you don't currently own a copy of the game you have downloaded.
That's incorrect. Theoretically, you could make an exact duplicate of your disk (Unless you're hardcore, I doubt you'll be able to make an exact duplicate of a cartridge), but not download the game from some ROM site. That said, even duplicating the disk could be infringement because EULA. You buy a license and blah blah. Basically you contract around fair use. Sucks, but thems the breaks.

What's the point of enforcing their intellectual property rights if they don't use them for sales? Instead of having their old releases available only for the latest nintendo hardware, they should make their virtual console available for android or iOS, even windows and Mac OS in order to make more money and avoid these third party emulators.
They are using them for sales. Buy their consoles, buy their games, play their games.

Good point! Should have mentioned the Wii. I also agree with every bit of that statement.
I think a lot of people forget just how well the 3DS is doing. It fell short of expectations this quarter, but its expectations are sky high. And rightfully so, it's an awesome system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.