GCN turn based RPGs?

Discussion in 'Games' started by e²Studios, Feb 17, 2006.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have no clue if there is a game like this for the Gamecube but i was looking for a traditional turn based RPG, kinda like how Final Fantasy was, or how The legend of Heros is (PSP Game).

I would like it to have a somewhat decent story/plot that you follow like most RPG's have.

I looked through IGN a bit and then through Nintendo's site but i cant seem to find anything so i thought i would ask here.

Thanks
    Ed

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The games I'm going to mention are listed on: IGN Game Profiles - RPG

• The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
    • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
    • Tales of Symphonia
    • Skies of Arcadia Legends
    • Evolution Worlds
    • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

The Lord of the Rings game is supposed to be straight-up traditional. I believe several members of the dev team actually worked on several of the Final Fantasy games.

Paper Mario is not entirely classic and I have yet to play this new game... I own it but haven't had time to play it. The Paper Mario game I played on the N64 was great if not too easy.

Tales of Symphonia is by Namco, the first in the series was Tales of Phantasia for the SNES. I don't know much more.

Skies of Arcadia Legends is a conversion of Skies of Arcadia for the Dreamcast. I played the demo on the DC and really liked it. I recall it being more traditional... a bit "dated" now.

Evolution Worlds is the same situation. A conversion of a Dreamcast game. My sister really like this game but I didn't play it myself. Standard fair, seemed sub-par at best. Might be worth a look if you can pick it up cheap.

The last one (Fire Emblem) is actually listed on the Strategy RPGs but I thought it probably deserved a mention. It is turn-based but plays much more like Shining Force (classic Sega RPG). It's quite fun but plays more like a strategy game then the a classic turn-based rpg. I have Fire Emblem on the GBA and absolutely *love it.

Hope that helps,
    ~ Hao

3. crachoar macrumors 6502a

The only game you should need or even bother with is 'Fire Emblem'.

The GBA games are excellent. Better, I think. I don't think the 3D animations do the game justice. If you had a Gameboy player, I would suggest you pick up 'Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones'.

The good news is, ever 'Fire Emblem' game is a fresh start - like in most 'Final Fantasy' games.

'Paper Mario' blew, 'Tales of Symphonia' was like watching a mediocre japanese cartoon with amazingly predictable 'plot twists' and a dumpy combat system. 'Skies', I haven't played since I had it for the Dreamcast. From what I recall, it wasn't so bad. Then again, I never finished it, so it obviously wasn't addicting.

I think, that if you want an extremely long and challanging game - pick up 'Fire Emblem'.

It's a turn-based strategy RPG - sort of like 'Advance Wars', but much better and more complex. Each warrior on the screen can die. And when they die, they are no longer part of the developing story (obviously). There are no 'phoenix downs', no 'life' spells, etc. If they die, they die. You position your troops in the battlefield. Obviously, some soldiers, archers, mages, etc. have a higher success rate against certain enemies than others. It's more or a less, an extremely complex game of Chess with a great story.

I still prefer the GBA version for the artwork, but I'm fairly certain you won't be unhappy with 'Fire Emblem'.

Hope you enjoy it.