GCSEs *GULP*

Discussion in 'Community' started by UberMac, Aug 25, 2005.

1. UberMac macrumors 6502

Well I finally found out my GCSE grades this morning after a lot of anticipation. Turns out I didn't need to be nearly as worried! I did...actually I'll tell you later :p

So come on, how did the rest of the UK's 16 (maybe 15) year olds do today?

2. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Well I got mine today. But I'm not telling unless you do!!

::20ROGERSC::

OK, OK A* A* A A A A A A A B B :D

3. iGav macrumors G3

dammit, you got one more G.C.S.E. than me :( although obviously they do say G.C.S.E.'s are getting easier by the year ;) so I'd have probably gotten 12 had they been as easy when I took them. hahahahahaha. :p :p :p

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

LOL - I'm not happy with my gardes anymore :( But apparantly the GCSE's seem to get easier every year, so I think I will do better than those in the year below :D

::20ROGERSC::

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Let me guess. You passed them all? 98% of those taking them did.

I'm not just joining the 'knockers' but there is a serious point here. Last week when the A-levels were announced, people were saying there should be AA or A+ grades to show which candidates did really well. My point would be that if they ensured that the proportion of people getting A's didn't keep going up every year then this problem wouldn't arise. I was always under the impression that the exam boards used to do that so that say 20% got A's and the mark needed to get an A varied in order to achieve this. This would account for harder/easier exams.

Otherwise are you seriously suggesting that every year the candidates get better? That pupils now are that much better than 10 years ago?

Incidently, I can't really knock the pass rate for GCSE's because I've got a PhD and basically if you finish the three years, don't piss off your supervisor and write a half-decent thesis you'll pass. A first class honours degree is harder to get than a PhD

6. iGav macrumors G3

It's a well known fact, that the G.C.S.E.'s of 1994 were by far and away the most difficult ever, to such a degree that the examination boards have been making them easier every year since. heheh :p

7. iGav macrumors G3

Also, I'm of the opinion that exams should be scrapped, in favour of ongoing assessment throughout school life. Which would also take into account personal skills such as attendence, punctuality, reliability etc. That way more emphasis is placed on consistency, which would be to the benefit of all.

8. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I totally agree - that way i would now have A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A* ... instead of A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A A

Woo - 9 A*'s and 2 A's, I couldn't ask for more than that :D (well except not being at work right now :( )

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Heh, to quote "My Dad's The Prime Minister", don't they give those away in packs of corn flakes? :p

I got my B. Oh yeah (I'm the youngest person posting in this thread, as well :p - year 9!)

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That's good to hear, I did them back in 1993, I don't remember that many A's :rolleyes:

11. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

You're just not as clever as me :p *JOKE*

12. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Can I chip in that, as the 'Old Fogey' here (I'm 35) I did 'O'-levels in 1985/6.

And, yes, they were hard. ;)

Not as hard as the maths A/O level I tried to do. 'A'-level maths was a doodle compared to that.

13. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I can see it now. 'GCSE Boredom Studies'

14. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

At least it wouldn't pin "the rest of your life" on a few exams (although as I'm rather good at exams [ok, ok, ok - I'm great at them] I'm not complaining)

It seems to me there must be a reasonable way of assessing everyone fairly - at the moment the government decides how many people are going to pass the exams months in advance in order to say that they are going to improve GCSE performance by "3.875836%" - low and behold 6 months later the number of rises will be up exactly that amount....rather convenient really...

15. dcv macrumors G3

What the hell is A* ????

In my day (god i feel old now) the highest grade was A, no fancy *s attached. What does the * represent? Top couple of % or something?

16. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I did mine in 92, and I was one of only two people in the entire school to get straight A's. And the rest of the school weren't stupid either - this was in the times when classes were streamed so bright kids supposedly got more attention.

It must be easier to get an A grade these days, surely?

17. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just going to keep fighting until everybody believes me when I say that getting 9 A*'s [A* being about the top 2-4% of the cadidates (well that will do as an explanation)] and 2 A's was hard work.

There were only 3 people in my school this year who got all A's and A*'s (128 people in my year, it's a grammer school, and we are streamed so that the brightest are together [ie me :p ]) so I don't think that shows how easy it is to get a set of straight A's. My school is a mixed school so naturally we all put in less effort than the girls up the road who got 10 people with straight A's, however their grades were, lets say, a little more based on A's than A*'s.

18. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I do believe you. It's not easy (just "easier" than in my day!!).

Seriously though, well done, it's a real achievement.

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ah, but in 1994 they were much, much easier than they were in 1992... ;)

I think the higher pass rates in both GCSEs and 'A' Levels can be attributed to two main factors – as caveman_uk rightly says, it used to be the case that only the top, say, 5% of students would get an A, then the next 10% would get a B, and so forth. That all changed though (I think in the Eighties but don't quote me on that) so that if you get a certain mark you're guaranteed a certain grade. There's also the fact that many of the courses have become more and more coursework orientated, which means that after two years study you don't blow all your hard work if you have one poor day in the exam room (and I remember some people at my school really went to pieces with nerves). For one thing, I suppose that that's much fairer on students who work hard consistently throughout their studies, as iGav aludes to in one of his later posts.

Whatever the situation, I think it's pretty sad that each year there's always people queueing up to criticise our students. Congratulations to all our posters who have done well in their exams, and good luck with the 'A' Levels! :)

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Jeez, I had my degree by 1986 - you're no old fogey. Maths (Math to our US friends) A/O was a doddle, so was A-level Maths and Further Maths, and first/second/third year university Engineering Maths were doddles too.

Since I had as many B's as A's in my O-levels, I will be a grumpy old fogey and complain about declining standards.

21. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Well done everyone. I'm sure hard work payed off. :) Mine next year, and the year after! :)

w00t, avatar!

22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I'm having to do that in a few years. What exactly does AO do? No-one checks them, iirc