GDC 07: Miyamoto's Keynote

Discussion in 'Games' started by e²Studios, Mar 8, 2007.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167078.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

I am less than impressed with the keynote, I expected more developments, games, something new/exciting! The only good part is that he confirmed that Mario Galaxies will be out this year! :D
    I would post it all, but click the link, its rather long.
    I was hoping he had something in his back pocket to steal some of the thunder that Sony produced yesterday. However that didn't happen :(

I still say Sony stole the show this year :)

Ed

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

huh? Nintendo couldn't say anything because of the stock sale...what were you expecting?

4. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Something a little less boring would have been nice. They could have said or introduced anything they wanted, but I won't touch that to try to keep this one clean.

Ed

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It's like calling out a developers conference on new Leopard for not having any new iPods.

1. It's a game developers keynote.
    2. It was known well in advance that there would be no announcements because of the stock sale.
    3. HOLY CRAP SMG LOOKS AWESOME.

6. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I want it sooner rather than later :) I was hoping he would say a date, but no such luck :(

Ed

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What part of "no, they couldn't" don't you understand?

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Because it's hard to grasp-

Nintendo couldn't give much out due to the whole stock issue.

Plus it's GDC. It isn't E3. If Sony want to treat it as such, then cool, this was a gathering of developers, not regular gamers.

9. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Sorry, what is "the whole stock issue"? I heard the gov't of Japan owns a bunch and is selling it - that, or something else?

Given all the concern over game drought and slipping releases, I think hearing Miyamoto say, in March, that Galaxy is shipping in 2007 is reassuring.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Them colours are simply beautiful. What an example of fantastic art direction. Not bright, not dark. Just perfect. The motion looks so smooth. Mind, body and soul have now melted :eek:

At about 38 seconds - heard that melody hidden away on the old E3 vids. Beautiful. Good to see Mario with good music again.

What did Will Wright call Shigsy again? :D

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

boring...he could have given us a little more

Dates for some good up coming games

Mario looks good though

12. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

Mario Galaxy looks freakin amazing, I want it NOW :)

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly ?

Surely when your facing stock price ? then you come out and say - look we have these sure fire hits that will sell millions and will be available on such and such date. You take every opportunity you can to reassure consumers / developers and investors. Seems like a wasted opportunity for everyone concerned.

And the lack of information in regards to the big name games - leaves me wondering if we will see most of them this year or not. We all know from past experience Nintendo and release schedules are not great bed fellows, and i'm skeptical we will see Mario Galaxy this year at all (it does look sweet though)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If a game isn't ready then don't give me buggy unfinished cack. Give me polish and perfection.

15. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Like I said on Joystiq, I wish he would've started by calling Chris Heckle "a piece of $#!t". :p :D

I can't get any of those to work. :(

He did say something about not releasing crap just to meet deadlines and that it was perfectly acceptable to push a game back to fix problems, so...I would (and always do) count on perfection with Nintendo developed titles - or at least the ones where Miyamoto has involvement; the man is a genius.

I hope we get a Wii Pikmin title. :)

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It's a pity Wind Waker slipped through the net.

17. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Still nobody explained the stock price issue...

Galaxy looks...well, it looks mind-blowingly complicated, in a spatial sense...certainly should counter the "Wii is only good for party games" vibe. Oh yeah, and it looks great, too.

18. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

spong

If your trying to sell it at a reduced price, I can kind of understand holding back BIG NEWS that may make prices surge, but if you the one setting the priuce anyways.....why the hell does it even matter. He really didn't say anything relevant to developers or users alike. Pretty much just gave us a "My history with Nintendo" lecture. I didn't need to hear about his Wife-O-Meter, I woudl have preffered info about ONLINE gaming, or NEW titles, or even something relating to anything regarding the Wii's future(rather than Miyamoto's past) Stuff liek that belongs in a personal BLOG not a GDC keynote - IMHO.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

How dare you, Wind Waker was pure class and the best Zelda adventure after Ocarina. TP felt like a rehash of old ideas in comparison.

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I know right...LoZ: WW was one of the best zeldas going..except for the no voice thing but none the less a cool game.

Bless

21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Boring, monotonous and way way too easy. My least favorite console Zelda (though I still like it a lot).

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

in its defense - no loading, what the future of gaming should be all about IMO. Nice-ish music (not iPod worthy IMO). Nice pacing and animation. I think it lacked a certain Zelda charm though. Not compelling enough to make me want to finish it. Though much better than Majora's Mask, not as grand and fun as TP.
    that said I'd buy MM in the bat of an eyelid. Might get a proper chance to play this time.

Plenty IMOs there!

23. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I agree. WW was quite a disappointment to me. TP on the other hand I consider to be the best game ever. I have never enjoyed a game so thoroughly.

24. pcypert macrumors 6502

I don't really understand how you guys can say you expect perfection...maybe quality product, but there's never been perfection in any game. There's clipping , frame drops, weird AI, etc in ALL games...to say you expect perfection from Nintendo and one main developer in particular is placing too much. I guarantee we'll be able to find crud left in the game despite months of delays. Just the way things go...but they do typically make quality games...typically

Paul