Gear you own/owned that you hate...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iGary, Oct 25, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I HATE my Lacie 1TB external drive. I have it well away and under the desk and I can hear it grinding away like an old-fashioned grain mill.

Last night, I wanted to throw my ip4000r printer through the window because it wasn't playing nice with the G5 I could wirelessly print test pages etc., but I couldn't print from any applications.

I hated my Canon Digital Rebel. Worst. Ergonomics. Ever.

Anyone else have a product they owned and hated?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I had an m-audio mobile pre, and I don't know if it was defective or what, but it had a huge amount of static in anything it recorded, I returned it and got an iMic (for considerably cheaper) which worked much better.

I also had a Lexmark Z65 printer which was just a total piece of junk.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I've never even touched a Digital Rebel, but I'm surprised you hated it so much. I've heard pretty good things about it, and I have a Canon EOS-D60 that I'm very happy with.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Lexmark's low end printers do indeed blow.

I literally threw one (a Z45 I think) out of my boat and into the water when I lived aboard.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i used to borrow my brother's sony mini-disc player back in the day... what a piece of crap... so hard to make tracks and record songs to it, etc... gross...

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Without starting a Rebel debate - I like the scroll wheel not the push buttons. The plasticky feel just never did it for me.

Slow, slower slowest.

It worked flawlessly, but I just didn't like it. I suppose for the price it was a good camera.

7. mpw Guest

Peugeot 307SW SE 2.0ltr petrol - too many issue to list

Renault Clio 'Easy-matic' - Worst gearbox I've ever used, it has a mind of it's own and sometimes won't shift up to 2nd until 6000rpm so you look a tosser screaming through town.

8. Doozy macrumors regular

I hate my shredders

Every shredder I have ever bought has been a P.O.S. Why can't someone make a good one that doesn't jam, or just stop working for no reason.

Now, I buy an extended warranties on them so I can just get the shredder replaced after it breaks. But it is a pain in the !@#$%

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Besides the obligatory Lexmark printer, I used to have a 28.8kpbs modem that never worked reliably. Whould just completely stop working at times, and when it worked it was often dreadfully slow (even for a 28.8kbps modem). I suffered for years with that thing.

Hacked it into pieces with an axe after I got a new modem.

10. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

During my senior year of high school my parents bought me a Dell inspiron laptop. It was a piece, and it eventually blew up (not even joking, the power cord started sparking and the computer didn't turn on). Worst experience of my life.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

My last PC. At first I really liked it, and to be honest it served me well, but by the time every single hardware component in it failed and it filled up with viruses, I grew to hate it. Other than that, I can't really think of any gear I've owned and hated. I guess I'm lucky, because I've got a lot of electronic gadgets and none of them have ever really broken, or if they have broken, I've been able to fix them myself.

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Got a Compaq 7550 CRT monitor as a stop gap until I get enough money to afford a nice LCD (Apple 23"), but that won't happen until I graduate. It was only $100, but had good reviews and 1600x1200 res. Unfortunately, the clarity at highest res is terrible and the refresh rate too slow, so I use it at 1344x1008. And it squeals high-pitched occasionally, and I have to shut it off for a few minutes. I hate it, but I have to live with it for at least another 12-18 months.

Just audited my classes preparing to signup for spring courses. I only need 34 more hours to graduate with a double major. Not bad considering I'm now finishing up my 5th semester. I could get out in 3 and a half years with a double major if I didn't have to stick around because certain classes are only offered one semester a year. I'll have to stuff at least one elective in there just to remain a full-time student for three more semesters.

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Paid $500 for a USB 2x CD-Burner (candy colored from some third-rate Asian company) that couldn't burn 2x without sensekey errors. Stuck burning at 1x CD speeds!!

P.O.S. crapola. I still have it. POS reminds me why I should always buy name-brand and from good, trustworthy reviews. POS!

14. slu macrumors 68000

slu

A Canon ZR60 DV Video Camera. Took horible quality video and then stopped recording anything but black a few months after the warranty expired.

Which is strange since I normally have good luck with Canon. I will never buy a Canon lowend video camera again.

I had a crappy Lexmark Printer as well.

15. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Yep I HATE HATE HATE HATE my LaCie 1TB drive also - noisy piece of junk.

16. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'm on the verge of buying a 20' cable for the thing and putting it in a closet it is so bad.

POS :rolleyes:

I don't think I have ever hated a product so much.

Tech support "It's the low-level fans."

"You mean the one's that sound like someone grinding coffee beans?"

Asshats.

17. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Or even better since i believe its ethernet compatible put it in a hosting center and use it from there

18. aquajet macrumors 68020

Dell Inspiron 3200 I got for high school graduation several years ago. Over the course of five years, there were three bad hard drives, cracked hinges, crackly speakers, and a faulty LCD backlight. That thing was a complete piece. RIHell, you piece of crap.:mad:

19. devman macrumors 65816

devman

You should do that. I can't imagine how you can work with the thing in the same room as you. I bought mine with the intention of attaching it to my powermac. I had to change plans (after the second 1TB drive proved the problem is their design) and I moved the 1TB drive to be attached to my mac mini (server) and then located both of those in a cupboard in the kitchen (my office is in a separate building in the backyard). Then I put in a 300GB Maxtor as drive 2 in the powermac.

Not what I wanted but it seemed the best way out after shelling out a lot of bucks the for 1TB coffee grinder.

Yeah they told me it was just fans and normal the first time too. They replaced the drive but the replacement was exactly the same...

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i hated my compaq 2100 notebook. I had it for a month and it started freaking out on me. It would shut down on its own and never wake up. From the moment i bought that thing its been given me problems so i got rid of it the best way i know how........i gave it to my sister.....and yet i'm still fixing it cuz shes calling me on the horn bugging me.

Bless

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my old PDA what a POS
    my parents Compaq is crap too

22. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

IBook G3 900 MHZ, Two logic board failures ;(

Sony NetMD, Biggest piece of crap music player ever!

23. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Number 1 most hated thing ever goes to my LaCie d2 Extreme. I will never buy LaCie HDs again frankly. The noise gives me nightmares.

In contrast, my Canon Digital Rebel XT is awesome! Fits fine in my hand, takes stunning pics so big thumbs up.

Don't stone me but my mini has annoyed me somewhat too. The darn beachball steals productive time every single day. Even though I've maxed it with 1 gig. Its getting sold off for pastures greener i.e. Powermac time!

I hate my Linn preamp. Makes noise when I change inputs. It's going on flea bay soonish.

Love my Tudor Prince day-date California Dial watch. I even wear it to bed! Recommend you all get one...etc.

24. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Epson Stylus 740 Color printer :mad:. Thing drove me nuts -- wouldn't play nice ever with my iMac G3 333MHz. :eek:

Now it's just collection dust :D

25. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

MS Word and Excel. I always make an honest attempt to use them but it's so damn frustrating I end up launching AppleWorks to get the job done.

The Senn HD650 was a disappointing phone. Boomy, sloppy bass. Nothing beats the Grado RS-1 for clean, tight bass.

Back in the day, every Kodak transparency film I tried was dissappointing. Only Fuji knew how to make decent chromes (Velvia, Provia, Astia).

Do women count here?