Gears Lives up to the Hype

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kalns, Nov 7, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

yippeee :) only 10 more days for us Europeans to wait :eek:

IGN
    Gamespot

2. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

i saw the ad for this game at a movie theater last night. it was the cinematic ad with the remake of 'mad world' as the only audio. yada yada yada, i am thinking of buying a 360 now.

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Gears will be the first 360 title I get when I buy a 360 sometime next year...it looks awesome. Glad to see the hype delivered on this one (like Halo 2), where its failed on others (like Killzone). :)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll try and play it in 480i with stereo sound. Just to see if the gameplay holds up.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Now we have something hype-worthy; people actually playing through the game.

Too gory for my taste but looks like a good game.

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Add Teamxbox to that list with a 9.6 (of 10).

From IGN:
    Teamxbox:
    Gamespot:
    Because, as we've discussed around here before, you just can't have good graphics and good gameplay. No sir. One or the other.

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I never said you can't have both.
    I said it's rare. :rolleyes:

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

His new skill is being facetious, ignore him.

Best looking game ever? I'd rate Okami and Yoshis Island higher personally.

9. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Halo 2...bah!

The upcoming Killzone? Or the old one?

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

The old one..."the Halo killer". (Killzone 1 for Ps2.)
    Although I'm sure they'll say the same thing about Killzone 2 whenever they get around to making the game instead of messing around with "target videos". :rolleyes:

11. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Yes, that was all a bit embarrassing wasn't it. Did the dev's ever say it was actual gameplay on the upcoming Killzone? I remember seeing it, then when I found out it wasn't actual gameplay, a part of me died...

12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

No, I think after everyone got over the initial "holy @^#$" shock, and people started calling BS, they came out and said "target video". Well, Sony never said either, they played it off as gameplay footage; I remember the developer though saying it was "target video".

As for it happening...as good as games have started becoming (like Gears), I can't say it's impossible. Gears looks phenominal. I've seen pictures of the final Motor Storm (Ps3) and they look as good as the video shown last year at E3, so I guess Motor Storm will end up being as good as advertised. Now, whether or not Killzone 2 delivers on the gameplay like Gears apparently does, and Halo did do...well that's another thing. :)

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Seems impressive. This is the first game that might validate a purchase of the 360. Probably next year though.

14. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I agree with that. Mind you, with the recent chatter, images and videos of the PS3 - I think that's going to be my baby!

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

your not living in China are you ? Because you are allowed to have more than one baby ;) :D

I'm still more anticipating Viva Pinata than this, I just hope it lives up to my expectations of it....

16. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Are you? Or is it Korea? ;)

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Eurogamer is a bit more critical about it. And they are usually spot on ( I find anyway) Ah well, I will see for myself tomorrow :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=69696

"In a sense, Gears of War lives up to expectations in that it's one of the most intensely beautiful-looking games ever made, but is one that plays by the rules in the gameplay stakes. If you want to gorge on a next generation audio-visual feast then Gears of Wars is a king's banquet. But what of the gameplay pudding that Peter Moore so often reminds us that he likes? The proof, he says, is in the eating, and in this case Gears of War sticks to a well-worn recipe."

18. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

haha.got a good laugh out of that one

19. ericsthename macrumors regular

I was pretty choked. After hearing all about "emergence day" blah blah, I went to all the local stores and none of them had GOW. Oh well, waiting this long, I guess another while won't hurt.

Still, howcome nobody knows when this thing is coming for sure? An EB games guy said it was because in Canada games include french localized instruction booklets, but it would seem like Epic would've been able to have those ready in time...

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Vancouver rocks! ;)

The dude at EB here in Coquitlam told me the 8th, so I hope that is true because I really wanna play it.

And "emergence day" is actually the 12th, there is a big XBL event going on.

21. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

This game is great.....doesn't disappoint. I've only played a few hours, and I've yet played it online.

With COD3 coming out tomorrow, it's going to be a busy weekend! :eek:

22. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I picked up a copy today. Definitely redefines the genre a bit. Playing it for the first time felt like playing halo for the very first time when it was released. I played co-op with my brother over live for 2 hours and it was seamless. He joined right into my game while I was in the middle of a level.

This is the first 360 game that truly blew me away with it's amazing visuals.

23. BengalDuck macrumors regular

This game is why I will purchase an X-BOX 360 in a couple months, no doubt.

Hey, before I forget... what song is in the GoW commercials on TV? That entire video is extremely captivating. I want to download the song. Anyone have a link?

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just look for Mad World.

The original is by Tears for Fears.

The one used on the commercial is by Gary Jules.