Gears of War or Rainbow 6 Vegas?

Discussion in 'Games' started by freestyleguy128, Dec 22, 2006.

1. freestyleguy128 macrumors regular

I have $60 for a video game. I have narrowed it down to GOW or RB6V...which should I get? It seems like they are two great games with great multiplayer, but which is superior and will have a longer "fun factor"?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Wow, this is a tough one.

GoW is more of an arcade-style action shooter. R6V is a very tactical game that requires you to think more, because your on-screen persona is not some near-invincible behemoth.

GoW has really fun multiplayer, but the matches are short and none of them include respawns. R6V also has fun multiplayer, and although getting killed is easy (and it will happen a LOT), a lot of match types include respawns.

I guess it really boils down to whether you want a sci-fi action shooter or a real-life tactical simulation shooter. Either way, they're both great games.

3. ericsthename macrumors regular

you should list some games that you really like, then people can guide you better toward what you want.

And, are you buying more for multiplayer or campaign play?

4. freestyleguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a fan of halos 1 & 2, splinter cells, battlefield series, I like a well balanced campaign and multiplayer level of enjoyment as in halo and I also like a game with beautiful graphics(which both apparently have).

5. stagecustom macrumors regular

Go with Gears. i haven't even touched the online. I am just in the first Part of the campaign, it is amazing. controls take some time to get used to. but the game itself is beautiful. so WELL designed. graphics wise ive never seen anything close.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Gears of War has ruined me for any other third person shooter, I always want to go up to wall and doors and stick to them now! It does take a bit to get used to the controls, but once you do, they are so easy and can get through most areas without every having to be in the open.

I haven't played Rainbow Six, but I heard it is good. But Gears is thee game right now. I would recommend getting Rainbow Six first because once you see how good Gears is, you will always be comparing every other game to it :).

7. BryanP macrumors member

BryanP

I enjoyed GoW more. I have both games.

RB6 is a much more tactical game and you could basically die almost instantly if you do the wrong moves (and I mean instantly).

The thing I don't like about RB6 is that I don't feel that it gives you enough checkpoints unlike GoW.

8. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

GoW all the way man, it is one of the best games i have played in a while

9. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

GOW is fun but since I got RB6Vegas I have yet to go back to GOW.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Rainbow 6. More weapons, more tactical, more maps. :)

I've barely touched GoW multiplayer since picking up R6V.

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I played both, and ended up buying RB6V (although that was partly decided by the £5 price difference)

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

1. online GOW is a frag fest. Its more about chancing it and hopefully prevailing.

single player It's amazing looking but can be utterly fustrating too. It's a good game but it hasnt sustained my interest.

2. online R6 : Vegas is tactical and even more squad based. More about team work rather than just team survival. There are a lot more online game types too. However online game graphics are reduced from the main game.

Single player is deep and challenging, but never fustrating, a better game overall IMO

So between the two I prefer R6: Vegas

But I prefer Viva Pinata over both of them.

13. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

Get R6 at Best Buy today ( I think the sale ends today ) for $44.99, and save $15 towards buying GOW later. They really are very different games. I'd say get both in the long run. I also picked up Viva Pinata at Best Buy for $29.99 at the same time. :D

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

WOW Bargaintastic :D Enjoy. I love the game.

15. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Check out resistance fall of man for great graphics.

16. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

GoW. I've been playing this online every night for about 2 weeks straight now and have finished the casual and hardcore campaigns. I love the fact that you can do campaigns online with a friend too. Great game!

17. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Gears of War multiplayer is insanely fun. Hard to get the hang of, but I'm glad they had the guts to make the multiplayer "no respawn"...It always bugged me in Halo how you could pick off the entire other team by yourself, rush the base, then get smacked in the back of the head by the 2 people who already respawned.

The gore factor makes it a fun game to play with friends too.

18. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

you know...

I really wasn't impressed with resistance once i saw it in person. I was really excited about it and then it was a letdown.

The framerate is really nice and the amount of bodies onscreen is impressive, but graphically it doesn't compare to Gears of War.

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You do understand he has a 360, right? What's he gonna use R:FoM for, a coaster?

20. freestyleguy128 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow...thanks for all the advice guys. Just out of curiosity, I have posted this in the mbp/mb forum, do any of you know how to connect a mbp that is recieving wireless internet from an airport extreme to an xbox 360 in order to get xbox live. There have been some suggestions in the previously mentioned thread, but just trying to get a gamer's perspective. Thanks.

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Both me (Mac) and 2 friends (Windows) failed to get internet sharing to work properly

22. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

whatever you choose to get...

go to buy.com and use google checkout - you get $20 off the order....

do separate orders if you plan on getting two games :D

23. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I frequent another forum that is pretty much dedicated to getting great deals on games, and while this is a great deal seems like about 1/3 of the people are having very bad experiences with getting games from them right now using this promotion :mad: . YMMV.