Gears of War to follow Halo 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oh dear.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/06/gears-of-war-sequel-already/

Looks like the ounce of excitement I had for this game has now gone. The ending utterly ruined Halo 2 for me. Am I really the only gamer to like closure or (in the total style of Halo 2) a non-abrupt ending?

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

The thing about the halo2 ending and bungie is that they knew they could do it and get away with it and people would still buy it and people will want halo3 even more. Do I wish halo2 had a better ending? - YES Did it make me enjoy the game any less? - NOI thought it was fantastic and contrrary to peoples complaints about the arbiter levels I thought it was nice subplot and the i am hooked on the cheesy books they have. I just started ghost of onyx and so far so good

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I hate when they annouce sequels before the game is even out...

4. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yea, right. :rolleyes:

If this really is that big of a concern for you not to get GoW then you weren't getting it in the first place.

I dunno, jimmi; maybe you should let the game be released first or maybe a review or two before jumping to conclusions?

Oh, BTW, when'd you get a 360? :p

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't know why I bother replying to you, you don't usually read it. Why do I feel like I have to always explain myself to you? I don't get it. I don't owe GoW anything, so it's neutral to me. Then this goes and happens. the exact same thing that destroyed Halo 2 (or rather my trust in Bungie). I suppose these guys don't have my trust anyways, not after UT2003/4.
    I don't know about you, I really don't. Over the summer I decided to give Hollywood a shot and watched a few recommended horror films - there seems to be a huge problem with American writers, be it games or films, where they cannot just end something. I don't understand. Whats wrong with finishing a story? Oh. You can't make a sequel. You can't make more money. **** endings in games don't deserve my money. I just beat Quake 4. Again! another "IT'S NOT OVER YET" storyline. ****ing ridiculous.

I don't have a 360 yet and you know it. Why are you trying to be facetious? Why are you picking apart things I say? hmm. I'll get a 360 when a good game comes out for it and when I ****ing well want to.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As the convergence between movies & games continue, it's inevitable that a blockbuster game like this (it will make $100,000,000 in its first week/weekend) will see a sequel...

It's kind of a no-brainer.

Just like the inevitability we will see Fifa 08, Madden 08, Tigerwoods 08, Tony Hawks Project 9 etc.......

As long as its 10 hours of rip roaring fun - who cares if GOW leaves us wanting more of the same by the end, surely that's a good sign. :)

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think his point was when a show, game movie..anything...is planned to be milked for all it worth, then its not going to be given its all the first time around. I might still be good, but not its best. I've heard people saying the game is short(not sure how true this is but we will see)

I for one, don't like it when the same plot is over used. Games like Halo Wars are better, as they don't use the main part of Halo story, just a sub plot. If Bungie can make a few orignals games placed in the Halo universe, awsome. I don't want 10 games on the Master Cheif..I like to have a few rocking titles, and then let that plot die.

I also have this view with TV show, House M.D. might not be around for a 4th season, or 5th season, they are paying the star of it as FOX makes shows. When I first heard the news, I was sad, but if they play out the show, and end it when it should be ended I'm fine. I'd like to see it end at the 5th/6th season, maybe 7th if they can keep it good until then.

Not to say I won't play it, or even I won't love it, but I don't think it will ever be a game which I would die for. I love Halo, while Halo 2 is fun, and online is great, Halo 1 had a better story line, and I had a blast playing, it alone made me buy a xBox.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was more dissapointed with Half Life 2's ending than Halo 2's...

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Halo 2 end was just there...it was like "Buy the next one, or else !!" It made it feel like Halo 2 was really just there to make the Halo world be milked. The game itself didn't feel like that, but right at the end made it clear it was.

As for it being better or worse then Half Life 2, I can't say because I never played Half Life 2.

What I can say is it was better then KOTOR II's end....that game had the worst ending ever, and I don't even thin LucasArt is release a 3rd one!(or atleast not that I know of)

10. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I seriously doubt Gears will end on that kind of note. I would venture to guess that it has a pretty solid ending with a hint at a possible sequel.

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Personally I don't think having an "unresolved" ending so long as it's done alright and there are some resolutions there.

We don't know how GoW will end, so we can't judge it. Many many movies have endings that leave room for a sequel, that is unresolved to me as well. *shrugs*

Personally, what interests me about GoW the most is co-op... I'm sure that if the game is fun it will still be fun even if it doesn't end "proper."

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Jimmi and Abulia need a time out ;) Things are gettin a little heated.

The ending to Halo 2 made me very very very angry. I couldn't believe it literally just ENDED. WTF?! They might as well have said "Well hey! we decided to stop here because we know we can milk another game from you! Did you buy XBL yet? its only $70 a year you know! And the multiplayer is totally sweet! So do yourself a favor and play Halo 2 on XBL because this was really meant to be an online game" Well F*** YOU bungie! Just for that I'm not buying Halo 3 until it gets a price cut! HA!

13. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Oh my, like Microsoft cares :rolleyes:

Honestly its not Bungie's fault, its Microsoft, they ruined one of the best companies ever, Halo would have been much more than it is now if it had kept its initial Mac release.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No..it might have been better but it would not have been "more". Halo is "the" game for the xBox name...on the Mac, we would all know about it, but it would not have been a huge hit, in over all terms of sales

15. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Surely but if the Marathon series is anything to go by... Halo 2 and 3 would probably have been much more spectacular, a less known game which means you don't have to mainstream it, it would have not been nearly the hit it is but I honestly believe it would have been a better game.

16. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I will agree with many when they say that the Halo 2 ending was underwhelming to say the least -- but beyond the lackluster end was one of the most memorable video games I've played in my lifetime (i.e. multiplayer via friends/XBL)

I really don't know what to expect with Gears of War but , IMO, it has a big set of shoes to fill if it's "the next Halo 2"

Only time will tell....

17. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Over the last few years how many games have been advertised or at least made an official claim to be the next halo or halo2 and how many have failed? With that said I am excited for gears of war and halo3

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Are you from Canada? I only pay $50…

And I didn't mind Halo 2. Sure, the ending was abrupt, but it left you wanting more, right?

19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

He says so in his "location" thing, so I would presume so... And we're supposed to pay the equivilent of $70 (although I see the Live cards at £35...)

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

already talking about a sequel without the game being actually released yet... nice way to go ... i think there were quite some games who did that too and ended the series with a cliff hanger since nobody bought the first one (something which won't happen to gears of war)

obvious "story not over yet" endings are just annoying in video games

more about gears o.W. in general: the introduction video in the beginning was cheesy as hell and already annoying in terms of non existent physic engine ... i thought this was "next" generation.. then why do those guy sit behind a thin sandbag barrier with grenade after grenade hitting the sandbags and yet they are protected like it were 10 meters armored steel
    why can no developer put in destructible cover without scripting it ?.. i mean a game where gameplay is centered about taking cover/ leap frogging and yet they still have the same undestroyable sandbags like 10 years ago ?
    nearly as bad as the fighting at the end of the assassins creed demo, where it looked like the guards wanted to dance with your character (the game aside of that really looks cool though)

21. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've no problem at all with sequels, or open ended games... as long as they are done right. HL2 was a disappointment as there was visibly things happening you actually cared about to know how things panned out... if its more hinted at a la the original HL, then its a lot more satisfactory.

So, the jury is out until I've actually played the game. Informed opinion is everything, comrades......:D

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

exactly .. it's the same with the matrix movies .. seriously who went and saw the third one ? the 2nd was so utterly disappointing that i simply skipped the 3rd one untill it hit television

i'm gonna try to get my hands on it anyways (too bad i don't know anybody with a 360) so i guess i have to either wait for the vista release and try it in a game store

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly my point about HL2 ending being more of a let down.

Well the Matrix sequels were just a pure excerise in $ spinning crap, and in that sense they succeeded. As movies go, both were utterly horrendous.

In fairness, at least I liked V for Vendetta - which was a far superior movie to the later 2 matrix films, but the damage to the wilkowski's reputation had already been done and hence it's commercial suicide at the box office.

24. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I agree with Jimmi. Bungie ****ed it's fans with Halo 2. While the multiplayer was great, all of the things we wanted did not happen in Halo 2.

As for GoW, I'm willing to bet that after you beat some alien ass, a giant mother ship comes, or a big alien emerges from the ground and lunges at the camera, ending the game, making you think "OH GOD THERE'S GONNA BE A SEQUAL!"

25. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Or maybe, they walk to the top of a mound of debris, and see the rest of the alien army rolling over the horizon...

Let's make a competition - worst GoW ending!