Gears of War, will it be the game to beat in '06?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Oct 30, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/747/747891.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1650

^ Preview page and the GT.com page with all the nice HD videos.

Anyway, I have been following this game for a while now and my hopes for it are pretty much sky high. The 360 hasn't had a great year (imho) with Dead Rising and Oblivion being the only two games I would say are must haves.

But this game looks stunning. Gametrailers has some sweet new multiplayer footage and IGN has a cool 10 minute preview of it. A lot of people don't like third-person shooters (or shooters period) but judging from the impressions of those who have played it, GoW is the game to beat this year (for 360 anyway).

Anyone else getting it besides me? :D And when does it come out? November 7th or the 12th?

2. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Yes. This is going to be the most graphically impressive console game of the year. With all the hype around it, it better be an awesome game too. It appears to take a lot from Resident Evil 4, which is one of my all time favorites. And who would of thought that they would make Emergence Day my birthday? perfect.

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The co-op looks killer and the multiplayer looks good enough for me to actually pony up the $40 for XBL gold.

Add a ton of gore, weapons and a chainsaw and life is good.

4. l4t13 macrumors regular

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

A friend has been pestering me every damn day telling me that "I need to pre-order, or I'll never get it this year" :rolleyes:

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

graphically/technically it's clearly first class and the standard to beat i think besides too much over the top blood.... the only problem i have with is that the gameplay doesn't seem to have much variety from what i've seen from gameplay videos
    essentially it's cover-shoot-run to next cover-shoot-enemies suddenly come up from behind - change position - shoot - throw grenade - repeat
    i hope they put more into it than banking on the added chainsaw for drawing in players

having the projected flight path of your own grenades displayed on the screen bugged me too.. i just hope that was the "easy" mode or something

7. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Forgetting about a little game called Zelda are we? ;)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's why I don't want it. I wasn't much a fan of RE4. 3rd person really doesn't do it for it. And I'm really confused about all the hype about this, I mean Hollywood launch parties? The whole situation with this game just has me in stitches, I just can't see what everyone else is seeing.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The Wii will also undoubtably have a big celebrity launch, so would that relegate it to obscurity as well ?. You shouldnt judge hardware or games by it's Z list ;) :D

I think there is going to be a lot more to GOW than screenshots and small demo's have given us.

Hell at the end of the day if it just turns out to be the equivalent of a Major Summer Blockbuster movie, all action - little plot and great special effects, amazing sound and a joyous ride for a few hours.... well there's room for one of these in mine and others collections to beat away the winter blues.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But the Wii is a console launch, alongside how most new console launches have been. this is just a game developed by a studio who brought us (IMO) the laughable recent UT games.

meh. I'm just looking forward, though with trepidation, to Halo 3.

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I have been waiting for a good shooter on the 360 since it came out. Not that I haven't enjoyed any of the previous games like G.R.A.W. or CoD2, but I have been wanting something similar to Halo where all you do is go around and shoot pretty much everyone else in the game. I love Tom Clancy games, but I get tired of stealth and "3 shots and I'm dead" sorta games. I haven't really played many 360 shooters online because none of the multiplayer has captured me. Here's hoping that Gears of War has that for me.

12. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I have to agree with you, Jimmi. The hype is a little out of control. It's like a Steve Jobs Keynote where everyone thinks Apple will release 10 new products, from cell phones to TVs to a PB G5 (which I think will be here next Tues., right?). Everyone hypes the hell out of these things and then is disappointed when it's not the best game ever. But they have no problem moving on to hyping the next game that they think will be the greatest game ever, again. Rinse. Repeat.

It could be an awesome game, the best game ever, and it's quite possible that I'll buy it day 1, but I really have a hard time getting hyped about another shooter. Nothing about what I've seen of this game has made me crap my pants like everyone else. I don't know, maybe I'm mildly constipated or something. :)

Note: When I talk about "hyping the game" and "crapping pants," I'm not talking about people on Mac Rumors or the OP. It's mainly gaming sites that are a bit out of control.

13. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Maybe in the US but not one single gamer will play it in Japan because "they don't like shooters in Japan".

14. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^^ I think part of the hype is due to the drought of AAA 360 games this year. All the gaming sites/fans are itching for something to really dig into, that has the broad appeal, that has the killer multiplayer and has the killer graphics. Hopefully Gears has all that because 360 doesn't have a ton coming out for it this holiday season (CoD3 and Tony Hawk are about it for me) unless you count Viva Pinata (*shudder*)...

15. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Count me as someone waiting for a great game as well. Believe me, I'd love for Gears of War to live up to the hype. I rarely turn on my 360 anymore. I need to buy Dead Rising probably. It seems like everyone enjoyed that one.

I will say this about Viva Pinata: At least it's not another shooter.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Viva Pinata is the game I most anticipate in 2006

Zelda Twilight Princess I've anticipated since March 2004 so that doesnt count ;) :D

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah viva pinata is actually one of those games which should have been released earlier .. such games bring a console forward from being a shooter-sports-racing console

personally i would rate it as equally high on my "want to try" list for the 360 like Rainbow six (even though it most likely just a lett down since i've played the original on the PC)

18. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

LocoRoco kicks all asses. It's just too good, best game soundtrack I've heard in years.

I'd also keep eyes on: 1) Assassin's Creed; 2) Huxley. Gears looked awesome from way back but with the competition showing off their stuff, Gears does look a bit (like many have said) simplistic in terms of gameplay. The Unreal Tournament (or is it just Unreal) engine is being used in many games, so be prepared for many games with pretty graphics.

19. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

my (wanted) games list for the forseeable future...

gears of war
    call of duty 3
    assassins creed
    zelda
    metroid
    lost planet (can't wait)
    resistance
    halo 3

i really want another katamari, but i guess that will just be a wish for now

20. Malus macrumors 6502

I just watched the different trailers and gameplays for gears of war, and I gotta say I'm not really that impressed gameplay wise. It seems like it would get boring after a few hours of playing it. The graphics are great, no doubt about it....but saying it will be the game to beat? No, I don't think so...there isn't anything new about this game, it seems everything in it has been done time and time again. I think the new Zelda game, Twilight Princess will be the game to beat in 06. Yes, its gonna be on the Wii, but thats not the reason I think. Nintendo has kept almost the whole game under wraps and has promised it to be the best Zelda to date, and if OoT was the game to beat in 01, I think Zelda TP will do the same in 06.

21. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It appears that a friend has gotten his grubby hands on a pre-release copy. Lets just hope he turns up to the LAN party on the 11th... :D

22. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I gotta say I REALLY like the new TV spot for GOW, the one with that sort of sad song playing. If someone can even compare it to RE4, that has me significantly more interested in this game. I always viewed it as Just Another Shooter.

Still, I don't have a 360 so why am I even replying? :p

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

mad world .... ;) same song from Donny Darko, originally by Tears for Fears, covered by Gary Jules...

24. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

THANK YOU!

Someone got it right! :D

I've been spending all week correcting people that it's the "Donnie Darko Theme." Arrgh!

"Mad World" originally released in 1982 by Tears For Fears and later in 1983on the album "The Hurting." Written by Roland Orzabal. Gary Jules was the 12th person to do a cover of "Mad World."

;)

25. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Oh, and I pre-ordered GoW today from Best Buy along with the free t-shirt.

/me fingers crossed.