Geek Fest Itinerary...sort of ;)

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Jun 11, 2002.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Ok...B2TM & I have compiled a small list of possibilities of places to see & things to do while hosting u guys in the Big Easy. Please feel free to look up info on what we've posted thus far, as this is not written stone that we have to go to each place listed. The bars & clubs are among the more popular spots, some u may have heard of. Some of the restaurants are a bit on the pricey side, but are among the best in the city (we thought one night on the town for a great dinner would be cool, but if there are any problems with it, negotiable of course ;)). The attractions & sites are also among the more popular and not badly priced. If u guys who have been here or have been doing your homework have any suggestions, please post them here or contact either of us...

Bars & Clubs:
    735 Club (dance club)
    Preservation Hall (jazz club)
    360° (dance club on top of WTC)
    Pat O'Brien's
    Tropical Isle
    Cats Meow (karaoke & dance club)
    Club Ampersand (dance club)

Restaurants & Eats:
    The Cafe
    Court of Two Sisters
    Commander's Palace
    Rita's
    Emeril's
    Delmonico
    Cafe Du Monde

Attractions & Exhibits:
    Anne Rice Collection
    New Orleans Museum of Art
    The Cabildo
    The Voodo Museum
    Blain Kern's Mardi Gras World
    Marie LaVeau's grave@Lafayette Cemetary (very historical)
    French Market
    Riverwalk
    St. Charles Ave. Streetcar
    Degas House

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

The vampire tour is also pretty cool. Neat for tourists. I took it a couple of times down there, and it was really fun.

For the ultimate tourist, we could go to the house of Blues. He,he. Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homers dad had to go up against the old guys wearing the souviner jackets. Too funny.

Also the Absinthe house. We should go to the restaurant on the corner of St. Ann and Chartes one morning for breakfeast. Can't remember the name of it, but they have the best breakfest food in the quarter.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's an aweful lot of things for just one weekend. Will there be anyone official place to meet with everyone, I can't imagine us all staying together as a group the whole time we're there....

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Oh, there is no way to really do that. Most of these are within walking distance of the hotel. Basically you start on one end of burbon and then walk to the other. We can say, ok, see you later, lets meet at Rita's at 7PM for dinner. That type of thing. Now, be prepared for the ole ladys to end up going shopping all day, and me, you and eye hugging a bar somewhere :D

5. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I don't think we could do all of these places even if we didn't sleep...but it's more for options if u will...

there's a variety of things to do, so the more from which to choose the better off we'll be...

and we cannot be hugging the bars too much while the women are shopping...we'll need to save up for the nights...

as for an official meeting place...I was thinking the hotel lobby or somewhere casual like an easy bar room would work out...

did u guys reserve rooms at the Marriott?

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm all for letting the women go off shopping, I'll mention that to the wife, she was complaining about her clothes the other day....

I'm still trying to get our itinerary down. It looks like we'll be coming in Friday evening, early if possible and maybe leave first thing Monday. I'll get back to you later on that.

D

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I think I am going to go for the Grenoble house. Although we may stay with my wifes cousin there. Depends on the fundage when we get there you know. :D

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you going to make the drive and show up kros?

10. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah bro...u should really try & make it...the drive would be worth the trip... ; )

I actually need to call the hotel myself...I will need a room so I can be downtown the entire weekend...he he he ;)

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

someone still needs to figure out internet connections. I mean, going to kinkos would be ok, but if there is a better place where we could use our own machines, that would be nice.

Also a cyber cafe could work too.

D

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

It is not that bad of a drive from Kingsville is it? Actually, wait, that is down by Corpus Christi isnt' it. Ok. It is not a bad flight from Corpus to NOLA.:p

13. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I am sure there is something on Decatur like that. Maybe up close to the CBD. I think I remember something like that at Jax Eye. Can you check and find out? Looks like I may have to add internet to my cell. Although it would be 56k and very friggin expensive.

14. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

well considering i have a ride that i dont want to put much miles on...thats outa the question.

a flight would be the way to go though.

15. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I think that SouthWest flies out of Corpus Christi to NOLA for like 100 bucks roundtrip. Check it out on their website.

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

umm yeah im sure they do....but 100 bucks round trip....WHAT THE HELL?

ill believe it when i see it. dig.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

my wife and I are getting 150 round trip from Baltimore, which is quite nice...

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

My brother, my wife got 49$ round trip from Birmingham to NOLA. They have sick fares, and have never had a crash. They only fly 737's and they have a great maintenance record. Duke you going SouthWest?

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yep, as soon as I can get my wife to comfirm the dates. I'll try to get her tonight and let you know our itinerary.

D

20. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah...screw Kinko's man...I'll see what I can find for us...

u also may want to check the hotels...often enough they will have their own portals...

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hotels might, but I'm thinking more than one of us is going to want to get online. It really doesn't matter all that much, we can all wait to get back and then post the pics and video....

22. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I still say we go to the Gateway store there and post from their WiFi. That is my old district managers store, and it would be very cool to slap her in the face with it. She closed our store here after it has been open for 8 months, and we were making money. Crazy B***H. Anyway, the Ti and the iBook next to those winDOze machines would be funny!

Can anyone say multi-homing.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

how would we be able to connect, would we need to know passwords? or would they be stupid enough to allow open wireless connections....

24. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

We did not have the Wi-Fi at our store, but if they run DHCP and all we would have to do is just plug into their network. Unplug a laptop and plug ours in. That would allow us to get online briefly. Or we could just post a hello from their machine, and show off the Macs.

I wonder if Arn would bail us out if we got arrested?

25. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hey Duke. You and the Mrs. staying at the Grenoble House? Did Chantal hook you guys up? Just checking.