Geek Patrol benchmarks Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger.

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 9, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

yamabushi

OpenGL

According to Barefeats, XBench OpenGL scores are far from accurate since they only test one function. That might explain the odd decrease in OpenGL XBench test results despite improvements in real world tests. Most users have noticed a subjective improvement in apps that use OpenGL with Panther. I suspect that Tiger will show some additional improvement in OpenGL over Panther.

3. macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i don't see a point in benching tiger until it is a gold master

4. macrumors regular

The point is: Don't always look for the point.

5. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I agree idkew - the numbers we have now might not be anywhere near accurate by the time Tiger is released. For example, new optimizations may be added to Tiger between now and the GM.

6. macrumors 603

shadowfax

the point is to see where they are and use that to guess where they are going. did you guys read the article or just look at the table? they said in the article that they expected a lot to change between now and january and that it's already performing better in every way except openGL (which is, apparently, a questionable test to begin with). they concluded that performance is better and predicted that it would only be increased before the GM.

so the point is you should read more carefully. :p

7. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I read the article shadowfax, but like idkew, concluded that these numbers are still preliminary, and will probably change before the release. However, it is encouraging to see that 10.4 is already faster than 10.3 in most areas at this early stage.

8. macrumors 601

cb911

any reviews/tests etc about the pre-release Tiger are very premature at this point, but hey, if they've got that much time on their hands...

9. macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Well, it's good to know that performance is going in the right direction anyways. :)

10. macrumors 68020

idkew

i also RTFA. basically what it said is here is our table, it means nothing since tiger is still being built.

so i ask, why even test if they know the test means nothing?

11. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What caught me by surprise is the overall XBench scores for a G5 1.6. Some of the middle of road scores for the rev. C PB's aren't that far off, 120 for the 1.33 and 130 for the 1.5.

It throws a damper on an iMac G5 for me.

12. macrumors member

Just because you're not interested doesn't mean you have a right to tell people what they should and shouldn't do. Some people, myself included, enjoyed reading the article and pondering the implications of the figures. It may be little more than speculation, but isn't speculation the point of this site? Why are they running these tests? Because they can, and because some people find them interesting. Does it mean nothing? Definitely not. These tests tell us, if nothing else, how Tiger fares against Panther and Jaguar in its current form. I for one will be very interested to see how the next seed tests, and the next, and how the numbers change over time. The value of something isn't dictated by what you think, shocking as that may be to you.

Jimmni (who will not argue this point any further)

13. macrumors 68020

idkew

guess i missed the place where i said others should not look at the article. where i told others they could not find anything useful in the article. where i told people where to place their interests, and where they can not.

or -in another way- don't put words in my mouth.
    i used the word "I" the entire time: "I" don't see the point.... So "I" ask....

don't argue all you want, there was no basis to your argument in the first place.