GeekBench Drops Support for PowerPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tayloralmond, Apr 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Noticed this today. Yet another nail in the coffin.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors regular

They couldn't have all the cool people messing up their geek demographics.

3. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Wow, what a shame. I always liked comparing my eMacs score to all the newer Intel Macs, and knowing that even though they all blew it out of the water, its' measly little score was more than enough to get me by. :)

4. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

That's a shame. One of the few fully 64 bit PowerPC applications ever made.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just amazed that they're moving on. I realize many applications aren't being used on PowerPC Macintoshes anymore, but I bet 90% of people on this section of MacRumors use GeekBench on their PowerPC computers. I'm sure a lot of PowerPC users would gladly pay for a new license if they'd keep the application universal binary.

6. macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

spot on!! wish they'd continue support...

7. macrumors 68020

zen.state

You guys understand this won't stop you from using older versions right? A truly capable geek can make his own way in the tech world and isn't a latest version tramp. Thinking that newest = better is not true at all in most cases.

If you guys desire all the latest apps then you're running the wrong architecture. You actually need some computers skills to get by on older hardware and software.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but I'm well aware that GeekBench works on older computers as I use it on my G3 computers. Regardless, I wanted to share this with people as it was one of the few PowerPC compatible applications left.

9. macrumors member

I think it's better with this app to compare benchmark results from the same version though, I have found sometimes different versions of it have given different results on the same hardware (even though they seem to give the impression that scores from different versions should be the same) - so if you carry on using 2.2.7 on PPC you would need to use the same version on Intel or other platforms for it to be comparable (or as comparable as it can be given that different cross-platform benchmarks can favour different architectures).