Geekfest 2003 - Washington, DC

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I will apologize up front to those who will complain, but the purpose of this thread is to discuss the places we're going to check out & things we want to do while in DC next weekend. If the topic goes off into spam discussions, I will personally delete any & all posts. ;)

That being said, Mr. A, Moxie, Evo, and whoever else is joining in... :D

I definitely wanted to eat at Chipotle & XandO.

ESL for some night entertainment, no doubt.

I may want to visit the Space Museum even at some point.

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, I'm thinking Thursday Kabob Palace and the hangar at National Airport if you're interested. Check out the Blackhawks and maybe take a few pics on the tarmac - it will be different from that perspsective and something you really can't do unless you have a badge - which I have.

After that, we see how the weather is - there's lots of stuff to do. What would you be interested in? Georgetown, Old Town, Mount Vernon (down the GW Parkway)

Current outlook is mostly sunny - but that's still too far away to make a call.

D

3. thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Ah yes...that sounds great! I'm looking forward to Kabob Palace! :D

Also...I didn't get to see Arlington Cemetery last time I was there...would make for a nice location & maybe some photos.

Georgetown goes without saying... ;)

4. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ok, i have been given a few recommendations that may be worth thinking about..... (it's basically a cut n paste from an email below)

hip new restaurants:
    Zaytinyah at 9th and G (the chef just won the James Beard Award) it is Turkish, Greek and Lebanese
    Zola's by the Spy Museum at 800 F st. (American)
    Firefly 1310 N.H. Ave (American)
    Dish 925 25th (American)
    Mie n Yu 3125 M st in Georgetown (Asian Fusion and North African) the bar is supposed to be fun!
    Agua Ardiente 24th and M

as far as bars go....most of the above restaurants have trendy and fun bars, you can eat at them too. Maybe a few more would be
    Helix at 1430 Rhode Island Ave.
    The Topaz on N and 17th.
    Bar Rouge at 16th and Rhode Island.

i had dinner at a great Caribbean restaurant that opened about 1-2 years ago called Ortanique at
    11th and H
    . it was dramatic and elegant at the same time and has live music.

whaddya think D.?

5. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

other than that, i'm happy doing whatever, even if it's sunbathing by the hotel pool sipping margharitas :D

6. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Mie n Yu - wow - hadn't heard of that one - but it sound absolutely wild. We'll have to hit that for lunch or early dinner when we're in GT - its new and most likely packed.

Check out the review
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=1082297&typeId=2

As or Aqua Ardiente - been there several times, its ok, sort of Tapas based fare - but nothing all that special. And for me even less so since its in the building I work ( 1250 24th St.) I'm on the top, 8th floor, and we go there for happy hour regularly. Its ok, but there are plenty of other places that are more interesing.

Dish is ok too - one thing we have to consider is that there are so many places to see and dine in that there is no way we'll get it all.

One night/afternoon we should go to the Apple store in Clarendon and then head done the street and get some Vietnamese food at Nam Viet - its damn good and a personal favorite.

Others:

Kabob Palace we can eat there again - its close to the hotel you'll be staying in (its that good - if you find better grilled lamb chops any where, I want to know!)

Nam Viet The Clarendon restaurant is the first one - but the review is for the DC, doesnt' matter - I think the Clarendon one is tastier.

Zola's Looks like a better place to get a drink after going to the Spy Museum - we'll be there, so it should be worth a stop.

Spy Museum is going to be $13 a piece to go and see. If this is something of a problem let me know. I'll also need to know who's going to go - how many tickets do I need to buy ahead of time. Figure we'll get there early Sat Morning after spending some time walking around the Mall.

Right now I'm thinking we have Moxie, Eye, Evo, me and Mrs. Dukestreet. Any other takers?

This is going to be a lot of fun, really looking forward to it.

D :D

7. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

sounds like a good plan to me, defo up for the Spy Museum, with a bevvie at Zola's afterwards.

oh, and looking forward to the lamb chops!

i'll have a read up on the locations.....but it all sounds good, as far as i'm concerned it's in your hands D! :D

Woo! the starter of the first thread to get closed in the private forum! :D :cool: haha

8. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

:steals car and drives: ;)

9. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'm pretty ok with any type of Food. If there's a good mexican (authetico of course) place you recommened, bring it on.

I'm also curious about this one barbeque place we went to but can't remember the name.

The Space museum is somewhere I wanna go see-- supposedly I have a design in it somewhere. :) A little thing called the "dewar"

Anyway. Also, If weather permits, I wanna do some mad crazy photo shooting-- I know duke, um, mr anderson, mentioned some waterfalls. And I wanna be like TLC and go chasin' them

hehe

Also, any good indie record stores and/or vintage clothiers. A-OK

m

10. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha! And can you even drive?

Being a minor you might get off easy and not have to serve any time when you get caught for GTA, driving without a license, etc ;)

Moxie: Great Falls is nutso right now. With all the rain we've got high water and it will be quite spectacular. You'll want to do B&W - the colors won't be all that exciting - brown dirty water, dirty yellow foam. And I know its all digital - but I'm thinking in terms of filtering if you have that option on your camera. Bring hiking boots, it'll be muddy, dirty and lots of fun. We'll have about a mile or more hike to get to the interesting stuff and we'll see how the weather is and do what we can.

I'll get 5 tix for Sat. morning for the Spy Museum tomorrow.

Mexican isn't going to be that autentic - we have some good stuff, but nothing like you'd get in San Diego or Arizona/New Mexico. However, as Eye mentioned, Chipotle is fast food burritos and if you've never had one its worth the trip. Damn tasty stuff.

As for the bbq place - i've got a great NorthCarolina bbq dive that is fantastic. You'd never stop there if you didn't know about by reputation ;)

There is also some very large construction (the new Patent and Trade Offices) going up in Alexandria, we'll have to see, but it my be worth, ah, exploring.......

Saturday night Armand has friends coming in from out of town, so we won't be doing any firewheels - maybe sunday, we'll see.

And the rest we can just see where it takes us.

D

11. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'm down for seeing that new construction. Any abandoned mental wards or other neat cemeteries we could mill around in? ;)

12. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

If by Chipolte you mean the McDonalds owned chain ... i'm not a big fan of it. They use too much cilantro for my tastes and it seems more like corporate mexican food than real mexican food. It was cool last night because they catered our senior party but I didn't end up eating that much... I waited until the ribs and buffalo wild wings got there.

13. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

If any of you are ever in Pittsburgh.... There's a restaurant called La Fiesta. They do a Southern Mexican style thing. And it's half off after ten

Nothing like authentic Quesadillas with hand rolled tortilla chips and homemade salsa.

When my friend Doug came back from mexico, we took him to La Fiesta to compare and he was blown away with how similar it was.

:)

It's one of my three perfect "date places" where I take the ladies. ;)

Stay tuned for the other locations... :rolleyes:

14. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

damn, i don't have any hiking boots, not much need in the big bad city haha. nevermind, i need some new sneakers anyways.... I'll have to make myself content with snapping away on my cellphone and emailing the pics right away so i have space to take more hahaha. hmm, maybe i can borrow a camera.... [starts scheming]

bah i can't wait.

moxie, you gonna hang around at the airport for me? you arrive shortly before right???

15. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I know We can check in anytime after noon. And i'll be down there around 12-1 o clock. Lemme know when you flight arrives?

16. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

Friday at High Noon :D

17. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

aereopuerto?

18. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

same as you i think mate ... DCA

19. thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Spy Museum sounds great to me. As I told Moxie, I set aside a nice bit of cash to have on hand for anything just about. Of course, the less I spend is always nicer, but u get the idea. ;)

D...are there any good wine bars or anything of the sort where we could start off a night with some vino?

btw...D...that photo series I told u about is gonna happen! :D

20. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

my sentiments exactly :D

lol, oooh, sticky

21. thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he...the power of being a mod... ;)

22. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wine bars...

There are a couple good places - I didn't realize you were all flying in. So, its just going to be 4? Moxie, are you getting a car?

If its just the 4 of us, I can do all the driving, plenty of room in the Element for all of us and camera gear ;)

Moxie: This is DC - abandon places aren't all that common, and security is very tight in most areas. We're going to have to be careful - but don't worry, we'll find something.

And if we do it late one night, I'd recommend drinks *after* :D

If you're all flying into National I might be available to pick you up. Let me know.

D

23. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Wine bars...

heh. I figured as much. DC's a little, um, less depressed than some point in SWPA. ;)

And no. I'm not flying in. I'll be driving.

24. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

Re: Re: Wine bars...

Dude, I'm a muppet. After all the talk over the last couple of weeks about going for a cruise in the Saab, I still had it in my head you were flying in. Must be on one of those new fangled 'planes where you can drive your car right in i guess :rolleyes: ;) Why I thought that I have no idea, were you planning on flying in at one time???

D. I think Moxie can pick me up, not sure, we should exchange celly numbers anyways though. I can always get a cab to the hotel, it's only 8 miles.... :)

25. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

All of you should email me or PM me cell phone info and intended arrival times. I've got eyelikeart's.

And we'll need to figure out where to meet on Friday and where we'll go.

Moxie - eye said you might bring some friends, is that the case? I need to know if I'm going to get tickets for the Spy Museum.

Also, someone send me the hotel info when you get a chance.

D