Geekfest 2003

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, some of you were around last year for this, but some where not. We held Geekfest 2002 in New Orleans LA. Only a couple of us showed up, me, Eyelikeart, and DukeStreet, along with Mrs.B2TM and DutchessStreet.

So, this year we are going to DC. Yep, the home of our country, and hopefully the home of all that party worthy ;)

Bring yourself, your Mac, and plenty of compact flash space for pictures. We will party, dine, and of course drop in the local AppleStore and post a bit ;)

So, RSVP Here, and we will start looking for hotels to stay at, and planning the festivities.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Since b2tm made this official, you all should know that I'm going to be playing host (of sorts) since I'm local this time.

B2tm and eyelikeart were great in showing the wife and I around NOLA last year and we hope that we'll be able to do as good a job.

Depending on how things go, I'll even be hosting a bbq at my house one of the days, providing wireless access to the net through the cable modem - we have to get the geek factor up a bit here.

The 'plans' are still in the planning to plan stage, but there is so much to do and plenty of good eats, it should be a great time to actually meet some of the people here on the site.

We'll even try and convince arn and blakespot to show up (arn is in Richmond, a few hours away, and Blakespot is only a little over a mile from me in Old Town).

D

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Shall we simulcast?

There are a couple of geek-houses here in the SC area that're mac-friendly and fully capable of doing parties.

www.circus.com

and

www.darkwater.com

'Circus has the most infamous parties in town and routinely hosts massive keggers. They have a T1, in-house wi-fi and a VERY large malamute to keep the peace.:D

Let me know when you want to do it and I'll talk to the respective head-geeks.:cool:

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sounds interesting, but this would be Mac geeks mostly, not just geeks in general.

Besides, there is no way I could compete with that unless there were more people locally who would want to get involved....nudge, nudge, wink, wink, no what I mean......;)

So what about all the DC Metro area members?

D

5. vniow macrumors G4

Damn, I'd like to go, it all depends on when it is though.[​IMG]

6. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Second week in June. We are still working on an exact date, but probably the second weekend in June.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hmm, would love to go but doubt i can, i'll telecommute tho ;)

pnw

8. vniow macrumors G4

That sounds good, although I still don't know if I'll be able to make it, there is that lack of a job problem.[​IMG]

9. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

10. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I may be around by then...

If you plan to do it in NY count me in!

I would like to be in DC but... mayyyyyyybe I may be able to if I hit with the american dream.

Lets see.

11. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Oh, hell. Now we need Cleo to come and we can have the first annual Macrumors mud wrestling event ;)

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he he...

so I got it up...uh...yeah... :eek: :D

DC will be the shizzle...Moxie will be coming out no doubt...

I'll be bringing a friend along also...hope u guys don't mind...

now all of u who say "I'm coming"...don't pull a Geek Fest New Orleans move and not show up... :rolleyes:

13. vniow macrumors G4

Which is exactly why I haven't said for sure that I'm going yet.[​IMG]

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

even though you guys had a small geekfest last year in new orleans, the pictures you guys had were great!

i hope some of us west coasters could come up with a geekfest out here...i live near glossybear, mischief, and vniow so that could be something

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

It's more than just us Jef.

There's a few folks scattered about the bay too... it could be quite a gathering. I know some Lurker Mac Geeks that'd show too. SC has quite a Mac community.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If you guys can pull that off, that'd be great. But I was thinking that next year, 04, it should be a West Coast Geekfest. But maybe we'll start a tradition and have it on both coasts every year.

Get a little competition going even...

D

17. vniow macrumors G4

I don't know about having competing Geekfests, like someone said before, only a few members actually went last time, will only two people go to each Geekfest if there were two on seperate sides of the country?

This is getting confusing, first this years Geekfest will be on the east coast which is on the total opposite side of the country where I currently live and if everything works out in a few months, I'll be able to move back to OK which is closer to DC, but if I don't, then the next Geekfest will be where I moved from and I'm not making any sense at all am I?

Then there's still that job problem, anyone want to hire me? I'm getting desperate here.[​IMG]

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

time for bringing what u got up to the plate...

so who's going to be in the DC area the weekend of Friday, June 13 through Sunday, June 15??

I got a nice airfare that'll put me there that Thursday afternoon and brings me home that following Monday in time for lunch! :D

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll be there! And any other locals who are around who'd like to all meet someplace, we should start thinking about it now.

D

20. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Unfortunately, I'm almost certain that I won't be able to make it. My boss doesn't want me gone for three weekends in a row (Geekfest and WWDC).

But I'll keep trying to change his mind! :)

21. vniow macrumors G4

Well, I'm definately not going to be able to go this year, I'm heading out to OK to visit some people around that time so its a no-go for me.[​IMG]

22. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

omg omg not fair!!!
    is this like revenge for wwdc and mwsf?
    no geekfest this year on the west coast?!!!!!!!
    not fair!!!!

24. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i'm gonna try and get down, would like to fo' sho'. heh, friday the 13th, always a good one. but how do i get my imac down there?? maybe i can plug it in on the train!? hah! yes! can you imagine?

"nice laptop mate..."
    "thanks, you have a...?"
    pulls out G4 iMac
    :D