Geekfest Pictures

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

BTTM has a pic he says is "too funny" ... if only there were a new apple computer box in the can then it would have made a perfect print ad for apple. Or, it would have been a great attachment to an email submission to the Apple's switch campaign.

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ha! I did not even think about that. That would have been perfect. I am sure that Duke and Eye with their photoshop skills could put one in it.

4. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Beautiful pics man.

You and B2tM got some killer shots. I know eye has been slacking on this one, but it's mostly our fault--MoxieMike and Dug have been occupying his time with that site we're starting.

Hopefully he'll get the pics up tho--- I wanna see them too!

:)

m

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I did not know that you were doing that with him. I was really happy with the way my pics turned out, because I am not a photographer, and I was on an HP 318i Digital Camera.

6. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

My old ad agency had an HP 318.... tough camera to work with. your pics rock. They're nice. And i really believe anyone with an eye can be a photographer.... it's all about how willing you are to take a risk and shoot something.

Digital makes it much easier, you know? No committment to film, developing, etc. You can just go wild.

:)

Duke's pics, as always, are INSANELY good.

Man, there's some nice talent on this site.

m

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, it took several hundred pics before I felt comfortable with that camera. I want to get a really nice one, and actually do some real photo work. I am very interested in it, and hope that I can persue it further.

Thanks for the compliments though Moxie.

Oh, and one last thing.

2,000 BABY!

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that was amazing!

it looks like you all had a great time

you guys did the great macrumors ice breaker and it would be cool if we could also meet at macworlds in japan, europe, new york, and san francisco

i figure two or more of us, then we have something worth posting on the site:D

9. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Glad to take part in your 2000th! :) No probs on the compliments. I;m brutally honest, so if they s*cked, i'd tell ya!

:) What kind of digital are you looking to get???

m

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Where ever two or more geeks are gathered....

Funny Jef. Yea, it was a blast. I know that we talked about doing New Orleans as an annual thing, but we also want to branch out into other areas of the country. It was fun. Real Fun.

11. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

You know I am really waiting hoping that Apple comes out with a nice digital camera, but I am about to give up. I would like to have a 4MP but I really don't know. Do you know of any in the 1,000 to 1,500$ range that are nice.

You know looking back on the pics, I never realized how beautiful New Orleans really is when I lived there. I was more concerned with seeing breasts while I lived there, but now. Man, it is a beautiful place.

12. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm a fuji man and the fujis have a 3.1 (around that) but have the output of 6.0, the quality is amazing, and as for the price it's 3,000 Saudi Riyals or about hmmm $900 (Check that)

13. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Glad you guys like the pics, we had a blast.

Eye might be coming to visit sometime in the next year - we'll have a DC Geekfest - it will be official since someone from out of town showed up - that's what I'm considering for acknowledgement for a Geekfest. Most major urban centers could probably get more than a dozen together though, but its definitely something to look forward to.

D

14. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

i'm a nikon junkie, and would wholeheartedly recommend the Coolpix 5000- 5.24 mp, 3x zoom, full manual modes but also some nice scene stuff preprogrammed for point and shoot stuff.

The new Nikon 4500 for 699 is a viable option. 4.0 mp, 4x optical zoom, etc. And they're all VERY nicely intergrated with OS X.....

I currently shoot with a Nikon Coolpix 880, 3.34 mp, 3x optical zoom, great camera but i'm outgrowing it in some respects.

The nikons also have NICE macros, and are fairly easy to learn (much moreso than the HPs) and are good cameras to learn on. They also take killer images!

Take a look at these, they're barely retouched:

http://www.thefotohaus.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Nature/Flora/Flowers

15. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

If you do DC, i'll drive down (pittsburgh is only a few hours away with the way i drive)

Duke, you should come up to Pittsburgh on 10.26 for FLUX.... eye is coming up. It's a cool event. I think you'd dig it. H3ll, anyone who wants to come up should! :)

m

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Moxie, those are beautiful pics. If you ever come to Birmingham, there is a botanical garden at the zoo, and they have ever species of rose that exists on the planet I believe, or damn near it. You could get some amazing pics there.

Thanks for the tips on the cameras!

17. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hey MoxieMike,

Pittsburg sounds like it might be fun - I'll see what's up that weekend - might be good for weekend - its only 4-5 hour or so drive from DC, easy drive.

D

18. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

That sounds like my kinda place. I'll find myself shooting flowers, simply 'cause it's darn peaceful..... you know? I haven't been able to find many roses up here in Pittsburgh... usually more, just don't know... maybe it's a bad season up here. Who knows. :)

Glad you like the site and the pics. I still think i got WAY lucky with those shots. :)

BTW, the price on the Coolpix 5000 is around a grand, can be had much cheaper. :)

m

19. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Pittsburgh is ok, provided you know where to go. YOu know? lots of hidden treasures here.... like the cute waitress at the bar..... um, i'll shut up now. :)

FLUX is a nice event we organize. And yea, VERY EASY drive... what's it? Like, Straight on i-70 to i-76, and then go straight some more. :)

m

20. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My damn dog destroyed my digital camera - jumping up on me and ripping it out of my hand, slamming it to the ground - I could pay $200 to get it fixed, but instead I'll just get a new one, not sure when though.

Here's one of the flower shots - close up and macro-esque - it was a Kodak 4800 (manual controls were really nice!)

Attached Files:

21. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Nice! Flowers are so fun to shoot. I sometiems get stuck on them. Sucks about your camera...those kodaks are impressive... Dug shoots with a 4900 and its image quality is killer....

All that for like, 500 bucks. But he has no real manual controls, which I couldn't live without. :)

22. zed macrumors 6502

nice..

nice pics you guys, cant wait to see Eye's so that we can complete the circle. Its always interesting to see different peoples takes on the same subject.

Did you go into the Shim Sham? i think that was the weekend (geekfest weekend) that my friends and I went there for a night.

New Orleans is an awesome city, Im looking for a house there right now :)

23. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The Shim Sham club plays XMFred (XM Radio, Station 44 - Fred) every wednesday night - My wife - DutchessStreet - works for XM. I walked in during the day and happened to be wearing my XM hat - pretty funny. I think she's going to send them some coupons for radios.

Never went back at night - looked cool though.

D

24. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

So what exactly is FLUX here in Pittsburgh? Eye told me that he was coming in around october, and we were going to try an get together. If duke and more peope come in, then it would be a blast!!

But again...what is FLUX? I'm not a native Pittsburgher. Or a Yinzer as they say.

-Pete

25. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

scratch that...I just saw the website. Looks cool. Makes me want to be a talented artist.

-Pete