Geektoberfest anyone??

Discussion in 'Community' started by AlphaTech, Jul 14, 2002.

1. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

With the wonderful turn out for the New Orlenes Geekfest, I thought I would check to see how many people would be interested in a Geektoberfest up in New England in October. We could make a day trek up into Maine for lobsters as well as hit the Sam Adams brewery for a tour. Then hit some pubs all over MA (and Boston).

I figure the earlier I put out the feelers the better...

2. job macrumors 68040

job

It's called "Oktoberfest". :D
    Not "Oberfest". :D

It's all cool. :cool:

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

It's kind of a ways away.

It's a big if, but IF we (the family) go up to Maine during October and IF we get some free time during a Friday-Sunday weekend, I might have one of my parents drop me off for a few hours wherever you host this. Where in Maine would this be?

4. job macrumors 68040

job

I probably would not be able to go, seeing as I am stuck in Texas and I'm still a minor. :D :D

5. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

LOL... Titman's a minor... [Nelson voice] haaa haaaaaa [/Nelson voice] :D

I was figuring we would start in MA, and iron out the planned evens as it gets closer. Maybe cruise the brewery and such one day, and then head up to Maine the next. Cruise into Kittery and spend a day there, or in York, Wells or some other small Mainiac town. :D

6. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I'd be up for it considering my roots are in NY and I'm a hell of a lot closer to maine than NO.

-Pete

7. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

That's the kind of thing I was thinking... since it's easier for people to drive if they are in states close to MA. I'm about 30 minutes from Boston (depending on which way you go) if not less. We could probably use my abode as a staging point, and then go where we are going to each day. There are more then a few places to grab a room in Framingham, or towns a stone throw from Natick. I won't tell people to stay inside Boston, since room rates there will probably be more then a bit high compared to the other towns.

It will be interesting to see who actually ends up showing, if anyone that is. Before I make any arrangements with places, like the brewery, I will need to know who IS coming (without fail). Good time to use the PM/email features. We still have time before we get to that point though.

8. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I may possibly be down for this one. Not too expensive to get to Boston....especially if someone picks me up on the way :D .....anyone?

anyone?

anyone?

Beuller?

Though im not sure if the ca$h reserve will allow it by October. :(

What about one in NY and SF for the next expo? Those that cant get to CA could party here and watch the broadcast from the Apple Store in SoHo....

9. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

That's right teaballs... you only have the one Apple store... There are three within an hour drive of where I live (and work). :p :D

We could make a trek to the one in NH (no sales tax) for any Apple product purchases people want/need to make at the time.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

don't forget about the tax laws mcrain informed us of..... when you return to your home state, you gotta admit to having bought something at a lower tax and send the proper amount of tax you would have paid in your home state to the proper officials

hahahaha.

i think delaware is tax free too...?

11. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

COUGH*bullsheit*COUGH

Like I am going to even search for that form again to send more of my hard earned money to the sinkhole that is the state revenue. It all goes to the 'big dig' which is already severely over budget, and traffic has already exceeded what the 'improvements' were designed to handle (about 2x by now).

I guess this means that if mcrain shows up, we won't let him come to the Apple store with us... :eek: :eek: :D :cool:

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I got more then three within an hour of me Bitchtech... Just dont have the means to get there. Why own a car in NY?? it's stupid. I can goto Jersey for a couple of them, or goto WhitePlains...and then there's the new one opening in Long Island.

How you like them Apples biatch?! :cool:

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

October's a ways away, I'll make the call when it gets a little closer, say in september. I didn't make reservations for NewOrleans until two weeks in advance. I think it might be a little unrealistic to try and get a commitment this soon.

But aside from that, after being down for the first MacRumors Geekfest, I'd say the more we do it the better. Its was great hanging out with everyone, it'd be great to meet more members. :cool:

D

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Originally posted by dukestreet
    But aside from that, after being down for the first MacRumors Geekfest, I'd say the more we do it the better. Its was great hanging out with everyone, it'd be great to meet more members. :cool:

I second that...it was a great time just to hang out...we got to know each other on a totally different level than just posting here... :D

I'd be interested in doing more meetings...so when it comes closer...let me know...

speaking of which...exactly when in October anyway? I do have a trip already planned from the 25-28... ;)

15. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would appreciate getting a final tally of who is coming or not about a week before the date we set (in September). That way, I know how many geeks will be showing up.

On the SA day, I could be persuaded to toss food onto the gas grill. :D Once people committ, we will work it all out, so until then, just chill with the groove and idea of it all. :D

16. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Well, eye, where are you headed on those days??? If you are coming up this way, we could set that as a tenative date.

17. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

im in...

if it is an all 18+ party my girlfriend is a stripper in malden...

she could call some friends :)

C-

18. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

OK.....I'm in!!! ;) :D :cool: :D :D :D :p

What about a campground, with a huge bonfire, a keg, and the strippers...?

19. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

As per D0ct0rteeth's post, Geektoberfest will be an all 18+ affair. :D Anyone over 21 will be provided with inebriations, provided you like what I have, if you don't, there are two liquor stores within 3 miles of my residence. :D

This one has the potential to be better then the first geekfest... :D Especially if we can get at least one (or more) of the people that made it to the first geekfest to show. :D

20. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Alpha...I think its inevitable that there will be some drinking at Geektoberfest...We should try and plan it so that there is not a lot of driving...gotta keep everyone safe. So wherever everyone stays should be where the majority of the partying is...what kinda hotels/other forms of accomidations are near your house?

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

or you could plan on driving everywhere and that way we can weed some of you all out? oh. whoops. wasn't supposed to say that

ha

i'm surprised to see you so safety oriented there dirtbag.... that's cool though. guess you usually don't have to worry as you're just stumbling home in nyc..

boston geek party. sweetness

22. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

You got a car for me to drive?

Thought not...if you do, I can be a designated driver...I usually end up doing it anyway when I'm at home and partying (not in NYC...have to drive).

Just cause I like to have some fun doesnt mean I want anyone to get hurt...I'd ratehr stay sober the whole time then take the chance that someone gets hurt. If I had a car there I'd drive people...but I dont have a car here.

you gonna go jello? I know you can...I'll drag your ass if I have to

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There is something that just seems wrong with that one to me. With New Orleans, you could go out and see your own if you wanted too, but to bring in some 'talent' for a private show isn't exactly something I'm thinking Arn and MacRumors will or should support - just my opinion, and I have nothing against strippers.

D

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i actually do in theory.. but would i let you? ha. that's good that you think that way though. surprising, but good. :rolleyes:

i don't think i'll be making the trip....

ps. i agree with duke. then again, i DO have something against strippers.

25. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Do I gotta bitch slap you and drap you to boston? Cause I will...bring the gf....

In theory I have a car as well smartass. But its in MD and I'm not gonna get it to Drive to Boston :rolleyes:

Plus, of all people you SHOULD trust me driving. I have a commercial Liceanse and drove a bus full of kids all last summer. Driving a car full of drunk people is nothing ;)