GeForce 4mx Powerbook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dixer, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Dixer macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm running a 1ghz 17" powerbook. The spec sheet says I have a GeForce 440 Go but my system profiler reads Geforce 4mx. Just to clarify, I have no idea when it comes to graphics cards. My concern is that, I think the anomaly might arise from an upgrader (?) I used on the Halo for mac game disk. Like I said, I have no idea when it comes to this stuff but in retrospect, I'm pretty sure the upgrader was for Radeon cards only.
    Now, I'm wondering, did I possibly do harm to my graphics card? I actually thought I remembered system profiler saying I had a geforce 4ti. In a quality hierarchy, is a 440 better than a 4mx or is there an equivalence there or could you possibly point me in the direction of any resource where I could learn more about this area?
    I'm just reaching out in desperation here, if anybody could offer any advice it'd be greatly appreciated.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Re: GeForce 4mx Powerbook?

My first guess is that the update changed a setting for your graphics card that changed the way it was reported because it wasn't from the vendor it was expecting. Perhaps it tried to update the driver, failed, then unwittingly changed the model flag (which may be in a different spot in memory for ATI cards than for nVidia cards). I don't think your graphics card is damaged; all I think happened is the model reporting got corrupted.

3. Dixer thread starter macrumors newbie

wrldwzrd89 ,
    Thanks for getting back to me. Am in agreeance with yr diagnosis. Do you know of any way to reverse this. I should also mention that a folder was created under utilities called 'ATI Utilities' (I think) with a read me and an app that I attempted to delete after I saw my stupid mistake. It wont let me throw out the app though, saying that some .pct files are locked. Any suggestions here?
    thanks again,

4. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

the 440 Go is the mobile version of the Geforce4 MX, all the Go means is that its core size is smaller and lower power consumtion :)

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

After reading Nik_Doof's comment, I'm not sure that anything needs to be done about the model reporting. However, I don't know why the app is complaining. Try doing a search for .pct files to see if that gives you any hints as to which ones are in use. If that doesn't help, well...I'm out of ideas. Anyone else have a better suggestion?