Geforce 6800 Mac Bound!!! In Next Powermacs!?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Maclarny, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Yep, it's there!

Supported OS's: "Mac OS and OSX" :)

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Interesting to say the least. Lets hope for a G5 with a G6 in it ;)

4. jane doe macrumors 6502

Dude,

This just means that the card is compatible with certain OS models. It doesn't say that it will be included with the next G5 or G6 or what ever it is.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

At this point, any major card coming out for Mac, Apple will include as a BTO option.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apple will have to authorise manufacturing for it, adapt drivers and firmware too. It just makes sense that they'd want a PCI-X graphics card in the PowerMac G5s.

7. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

We will see what happens with this card but this is still very good news! :D

8. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

prob won't have ADC because the power requirements are enormous for the p.c. version it requires an additional power straight from the power supply

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

So does the Mac Radeon 9800.

11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

You guys are dreaming if you think this is hitting the mac anytime soon. I would bet $100 dollars there is no way this card will hit the mac within the next 3 months at the soonest. They're probably still working on the mac edition as we speak.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's a safe bet. GeForce 2 was late. GeForce 3Ti was going to be on Macintosh before x86 PC and then, it was late too. :D

13. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

There is no and won’t ever be a PCI-X graphics card. What you mean is PCI Extreme. The GeForce 6800 will have a AGP 8x and a PCI Extreme version. I’m not sure if Apple will already put PCI Extreme in there PowerMacs, though I hope so. But there might be an option for this card, nevertheless.

14. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

you got any info on this PCI Extreme.what will it for the card it better make warcraft play better on my duel 3.0. thats if it has it

15. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Has anyone seen a picture of the GeForce 6800 card? It's a monster. It has a large 'dustbuster' style cooling system on top of it like the top-end FX series of cards...but hopefully this time nVidia has managed to make it less instrusive noise-wise. It also throws off an enormous amount of heat...up to 120W from what I've read. If this thing makes it into a G5 in its current form, it's probably going to obscure a PCI slot or two, make a lot of noise, and might affect the G5 system fans due to the heat output. I don't know if it will be able to draw enough current through the AGP Pro slot either. Maybe it will need the two external power connectors like the x86 version.

It will be interesting to see what ATI comes up with as a counter-punch. The Radeon 9800XT runs a lot cooler and quieter...hopefully ATI can continue their more heat efficient designs in their next generation.

16. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

ATI already has the R420 chip in work as a counter-measure, though I didn’t see any info about its performance yet. The new GeForce clearly rocks in terms of performance but as an ATI fan I’m sure they will come up with something even better.

17. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I’m not sure if the PCI Express version will perform better than the AGP one. All test showed that there’s not much performance increase yet. In the future, PCI Express will be better of course, because of the higher bandwidth, but at the moment even AGP 8x isn’t used completely, so there’s no reason to not use the AGP 8x version of this card.

18. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

You don't understand where ADC gets it's power from. An ADC equipped video card has an additional connector at the far end of the slot that is specifically for monitor power & usb. The ADC connector takes input from this connector and the video card basically just acts as a passthrough for it. The monitor is not powered from the AGP slot itself.

19. benpatient macrumors 68000

that's not the issue.

the problem is that the 6800 requires TWO unloaded 12V 4 pin connections...that means two dedicated lines straight from the power supply to the graphics card. They need to be able to pull a load of nearly 150 watts between them...just for the graphics card.

In other words, Apple's current G5s couldn't handle the power load, (i don't think it could handle the cooling load, either at this point), which means it will have to be a revision-only option. It also means that Apple will have to introduce a 500 watt power supply into the G5, something that will NOT go over well in the noise department...

Is it possible that we'll see a 6800 in the G5 this year? Absolutely.

Is it even remotely likely that it will be the "Ultra" version that nVidia has handed out to the media this week for testing? I doubt it. No, we'll probably see the "baby" 12x1 6800 non-Ultra cards in the top-end G5s as an option...

Look, this card is a beast. But it is built like one, too. It has hefty "hand-holding" requirements...takes a lot of physical resources from the computer...it's not elegant at all. that's why i don't think it will find its way into the G5...which is terribly picky.

Anyone seen a 5950 Ultra in a G5? No way.

20. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

LoL, the DP G5s already have a 600 W powersupply and the SP have a 450 W as is :)

21. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

actually

acording to apple-history, the g5 has a 700 something, power supply..

aethier

22. benpatient macrumors 68000

well, isn't that gross.

my point was that the 6800U needs, for safety's sake, 200watts all to itself.

the 9800Pro needs 75, according to ATI...

The 9600Pro is like half of that.

what's the breakdown on that 600W PS's usage?

I bet it's largely for the cooling fans & the processors...

I know apple doesn't generally give you a lot of "extra" power supply in their boxes. I remember finding that out the hard way with a beige G3...

23. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Why would Apple have to authorize manufacturing for it? Any company can make a product Mac compatible without asking Apple first... its called "free enterprise."

24. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

INDEED!!!

Attached Files: