Geforce 6800Ultra finally on Mac!!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by hvfsl, Jun 28, 2004.

1. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So what's so special about this card? Why would it be a good deal if you didn't have a 30" Apple display? Say just 2 20" Displays?

D

3. hvfsl thread starter macrumors 68000

hvfsl

This is a PC benchmark, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

bet a billion dollars it is underclocked...that card needs TWO extra power connections in the current, tested PC version...

apple had no moral misgivings about running a 9800 Pro at regular 9800 levels...there was no frame of reference (except that the PC cards ran faster, of course)...if the apple 6800U can be bought (for 599!!!!!!!) retail or as an upgrade to ANY G5, then it won't be able to access all that extra power that the 4 molex connectors provide the PC version. I'll be surprised if it runs as fast as the PC version of the 6800 GT...

not that it isn't an improvement over the current options, mind you...but at 599, it isn't exactly cost-effective.

The only people who will be buying one at that price are people for whom money is no contest (people buying 3300 dollar 30" LCD monitors aren't worried about cash flow).

I'm pretty sure that running a game at 2560x1600, even on a full-blast 6800U or X800XT Platinum, would be...less than impressive where FPS is concerned...

you'd get some really nice screenshots, though!

hehe...

"what resolution are you running quake 3?"

"1600x1200...in a window"

:)

5. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

I don't believe it. I don't believe it at all.

WHAAAAATTTTTT!!!!???????? :mad: :eek: :confused:

LOOK AT THIS>>>>>>>>>CLICK HERE

WANNA WATCH A VIDEO!?CLICK HERE

I think my point is, this card is incredibly amazing, and is the only thing that can do 10,000 poly characters, with real time raytracing functions procedural shaders. Watch the video. :eek: PROCEDURAL SHADERS AND RAYTRACING :eek:

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

would a moderator kindly fix that post so it isn't so annoying?

and would i_am_a_cow please point me towards the website where I may buy a game utilizing any of those capabilities, or any game planned in the next year-and-a-half, for that matter, that would justify spending 600 dollars on a graphics card that won't be available for at least a couple more months?

7. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

huh?

Video downloaded (unreal3_0002.wmv) but seemed to be continuous black. Checked WMP's options but there didn't seem to be a "just work" check box.

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Ask the PC gamers. Similar prices for the same card at the moment.

9. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Can some one clarify for me, to what extent mac games use open GL, I thought everything on mac was open GL but I may be very very wrong?

From my memory the 6800 did very well against the x800 in open GL test so would that make this card a better deal for the mac than for the PC where the ATI cards are honed for Direct X?

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

All native 3D games use OpenGL on Mac OS X. There is also a QuickDraw 3D adapter for the Classic environment, which ends up calling OpenGL.

You can never tell how the drivers for Mac OS X are going to work simply because they work a certain way on Windows. ;)

11. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

For having a name like benpatient, you aren't so patient! :D

Anyways... I didn't say ANYTHING about any types of games. If you want to be ready for new games though, this is what they are optimizing them for. This is where the close future of games is. Furthermore, if you look at this link http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/powered/announced.shtml, many of the games on there are being developed with the engine. A year and a half goes by very quickly. :cool:

12. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Ooo, yay!...

...so?

In the end it's just a freaking videogame. It's not a god. Stop worshiping it.

BTW, not everyone here has to run their games at the HIGHEST RESOULTION POSSIBLE with all the graphics details on. Hell, I'm fine with 800x600, with medium details. Looks fine to me.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I do 3d animation, so if its a better card that will give me more power, it would be worth it. I'm going to be buying a dual 2.5 - not with a 30" monitor (dual 20s) and just being able to set up and use complex scenes/models would be a great benefit.

D

14. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I'm impressed with this card. I just thought I'd point out (even though some may know) that the card does come with 256MB of VRAM. It didn't say on the website, had to do a bit of searching ;).

This is a nice addition to the G5 and I'm very happy to see it come to the market.

JOD8FY

15. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

This is now the most powerful graphics card available for Macs. This card offers a huge perfomance improvement over the stock cards in current PowerMacs. Even the awesome Radeon 9800XT will be soundly beaten. I think it is time for someone to do a thorough benchmarking and review of all the cards available on a PowerMac G5. This new card will not only benefit gamers - many professional video and graphics applications will also run faster at higher resolutions. Also, since a more powerful card will free up a little more work from the cpu many other applications can receive a slight benefit as well.

16. garybUK Guest

garybUK

yes about time, now we just need the X800's and gaming on mac's shouldn't be a problem.

I will definately be replacing my lowly 5200 ultra.

Doom3... bring it on!

17. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Screw Doom3, Bring on Myst IV!

18. hvfsl thread starter macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I forgot to say that the Geforce 6800U has an onboard video processing chip which can be used to decode/encode many different video formats (meaning that encoding a DVD will be a lot quicker).

It is programable, so support for new video formats can be added as they become avaliable.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if anyone is wandering where it gets it's power from (the pc one has 2 molex connectors on the back) it still has the adc power connector so it i useing the adc power connector whicj is good for about 150w at 28v and using that and thats probably why it is such a giant card because it needs to step down the 28v to 5v and 12v for use in the card.

20. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

where does the x800 come in all that????

21. hvfsl thread starter macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Also, the main reason the Geforce 6800u has the extra power connector on the PC, is so you can overclock it. Since Mac users won't be overclocking it, the Mac G6800U does not really need it.

22. hvfsl thread starter macrumors 68000

hvfsl

23. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

yeah sorry i was being sarcastic... i knew where it wold come ;)
    but very very good for it to be available... nice one apple....

24. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

OK, and so where does the GE Force Go5200 stack up in all of that?

Just kiddin! :)

25. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

oh at least 37th.... :eek: ;)