GeForce 7800 S-Video and FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Drizzt, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Drizzt macrumors member

Drizzt

If I were to get a CRT monitor for editing to hook up to my PM G5 with a GeForce 7800 GT GPU, could I just hook up the monitor with an S-Video cable straight from the graphics card and use it for my canvas? Or when do I use a broadcast monitor? Do I just use that after I have finished editing?

Finally, is S-Video the same as an SVHS 4-pin connector?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Drizzt thread starter macrumors member

Drizzt

Anyone? Basically, I want to learn how you guys set up an external production monitor. I have heard of using DV decks and even perhaps a camcorder but i woulld like it to be inclusive to the video card. Is that possible with the GeForce 7800 GT? Any help is appreciated.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You'll probably need the $20 video adapter. You can buy it from the Apple Store (search for video adapter). It changes one of the DVI ports to an S-Video/Composite connector. That's what TVs use. If you mean CRT monitor, it should have come with a DVI to VGA adapter. Otherwise, it's also about $20 for one of those too. The TV adapter for PowerMacs looks like this:

Attached Files:

4. Drizzt thread starter macrumors member

Drizzt

Yes, but the GeForce 7800 GT card has dual-link DVI ports in addition to an S-Video out port. Am I correct in a assuming that I could connect two ACDs to the card and still run a CRT production monitor out as well?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Dual link doesn't mean it'll drive 2 monitors, just that it can send out more info to drive a 30" monitor. You should have 1 dual link port and one regular port on the graphics card if it's the Apple one. It should have come with a cable to drive a regular DVI monitor and another cable to attach a VGA monitor. You might want to call the Apple store to ask them what's compatible.

Here's pic of what your card should look like:[​IMG]

6. Drizzt thread starter macrumors member

Drizzt

According to this picture, though, the 7800 GT has two DVI ports (one of them single-link and the other dual-link) in addition to an S Video port:

[​IMG]

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's the PC version. That won't work in your Mac. According to this: http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html the Apple version only has 1 dual-link DVI port and 1 regular DVI port. I might have misunderstood, don't you already have the G5 with this card? It's a build to order option. If you don't, or you have a an AGP Mac (the 7800 only works with PCI-Express), and you just want to output to a TV, just buy the $20 adapter.

Like I said, call the Apple Store, tell them what you have, tell them what you'd like to do and they can tell you what you need.