GeForce 8

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Machead III, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Machead III macrumors 6502

Machead III

I was thinking about going all out some time mid next year and buying a MacPro. I've only ever had consumer Macs before, but I'm sick of the lack of expandability, and I like the idea of having some fun with the Pro's gaming capabilities.

I was wondering, will the GeForce 8 be comaptible with the MacPro? I know bugger all about graphics cards, but I know that's going to be one of the first DirectX 10.0 cards, and I know BioShock will need DirectX10.0, and I know I NEED BioShock ^^

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would imagine that a GeForce 8 Mac-compatible video card would eventually be made. :)

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

One of the main advantages I saw for the Intel migration was the potential for a larger number of peripheral devices for Macs. Whether this translates into more video cards, I am not sure. We may see the evolution of more choices, but only for the Intel Macs.

4. link92 macrumors 6502

The difference is the same as it was with PPC: firmware. In the case of the Intel Macs: BIOS v. EFI.

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

A poster here has discovered that if you stick in a EFI compatible card solely for bootup purposes, a third party PC card can be installed and used with no problems.

6. knome macrumors 6502

knome

but with the direct x 10 cards needing a completely new card architecture. Will OpenGL be adapted to it any time soon? or is it already?

7. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

Hmm, I wonder if DirectX 10.0 is worth effectively having no GPU while in OS X.

Probably not.

nVidia could write a Mac driver in no time I imagine, but knowing them, we'll have to wait months after the release.

8. timb macrumors regular

For the most part, OpenGL stays on par with DirectX, feature wise. DirectX really isn't that impressive of a API, and it's a shame it still exists.