GeForce FX 5200 for portrait display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vaughan, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Vaughan macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a GeForce FX 5200 in my G5 and was wondering if it's possible to use it to swivel my monitor 90 degrees to use in portrait mode. I don't see the appropriate resolution in my System Preferences (it'd be 1024x1280) and I have no Rotate pop-up menu in Displays. The video card should be able to do it but I have the feeling that this feature has somehow been suppressed by the Apple drivers. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Vaughan

2. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Does the monitor support portrait mode? Also, I suggest you promptly set that vid card on fire :p

3. Vaughan thread starter macrumors newbie

monitor

Good question. It's an Acer AL922 and I'll bet it doesn't, so it's more a question of getting a different monitor than a different vid card (although I might organize a party to set it on fire if all else fails).

4. Vaughan thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, what vid card would you suggest and why? I basically use my computer for music publishing and layout stuff, and not for video games, so a leading-edge, number-crunching vid card would probably be wasted on me.

5. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I have an FX5200. I like it. I went with it for the RAM (256) since I do similar things that don't require fast processing or 3d rendering, just a lot of memory. It's a fine card. It's sort of the whelp of the nvidia/Mac set, but it runs rings around the Rage 128 cards...