Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
When I read about the new iMac I was pretty interested at the news on the GPU. But someone help me out...

I'm currently running a late-2009 21.5inch iMac (3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB) and I use it for the usual (internet, aperture, photoshop, work stuff) and it is more than adequate. However, where I'm feeling let down is for gaming. At weekends I love to boot into Windoze and play MW3 or Black Ops - and these run at acceptable quality and speed. But newer titles like Black Ops II or Battlefield 3 run like treacle in winter (i.e. very slowly!).

So the question is: how much of a step up would be a new iMac with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX, 2 GB? It seems a pretty big step up to me. What are the opinions on whether this set-up will see me set for another 3 - 4 years of gaming?

Thanks!

Andrew

The 680MX will be a vast improvement, as you already suspected yourself. I get around 53 FPS in Heaven Unigine @ native resolution and with default settings in Windows. The GPU runs Far Cry 3, Witcher 2 and Metro 2033 in native resolution and with high details - given that you don't activate stuff like Ubersampling and the likes, but those are features that even slow down high end desktop GPUs. Aside from getting an incredibly faster GPU with 8x more graphics memory, you will also gain a faster quadcore CPU, which will help out with gaming as well. Also, think about the beautiful 27 inch screen ; )

I don't know what will be in 3-4 years, but from what I understand the iMac had never before been equipped with the best available mobile GPU, so it should last a longer time.

pointyhat1

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
hi guys,

Im trying to update the drivers on my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX.
This is on my 27'' imac. I went to the nvidia site and after checking at the notebooks gfx card i found it.

When im trying to get the drivers for the right operating system, the menu doesnt include MacOs.

Ty
BR

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
hi guys,

Im trying to update the drivers on my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX.
This is on my 27'' imac. I went to the nvidia site and after checking at the notebooks gfx card i found it.

When im trying to get the drivers for the right operating system, the menu doesnt include MacOs.

Ty
BR

Drivers for OS X are done by Apple though the Software Update function.
You can not manually do it, well not unless you go through an awful lot of hassle.
Which might bugger everything up.

OS 10.9 Mavericks is going to sport much better OpenGL support and most likely new drivers, and enhancements.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Fair claim indeed. The 680m is a great graphics chip. You should be even be able to handle some big games on that like skyrim or bioshock infinite.

the 680MX is even a bit better than the normal 680M

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.