Geforce4 leaked

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mac15, Jan 20, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

nice

So.. if it is mac compatible.....

Its what the G5 will use? Or no... maybe not... maybe its too late.... ??????????

irmongoose

3. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I am pretty sure that I read that it was mac compatible somewhere.

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Remember when Apple was the 1st to have the Geforce 3 before the rest of the pee-cee world?

Well, maybe the new powermacs, G4 or G5, Apollo or not, will have Geforce 4 graphics cards in them. That would be sweet! :cool:

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I expect the Geforce 3 to be standard with the Geforce 4 as a build to order option.

6. networkman macrumors regular

is there a correlation between apple inc using nvidia and market share going down?
    (from just over five percent to the current 4.5 percent of market share in the same period)

is that because the nvidia is better and costs more adding to the cost of an apple machine?

just curious. - maybe you gamers out there know the answer

7. spikey macrumors 6502a

doubt most gamers would understand the question.

I doubt it seeing as apple is likely to have a BTO Radeon. Also the Geforce brand is just more popular, makes sense to have it.

8. networkman macrumors regular

nice to see you spikey...and getting close to 600

but anyways, couldn't apple have both ati and nvidia upfront or do the video card companies try to pull a microsoft and say "nah, nah, you have to use my card or i will sell it cheaper to your competitors or sell it to them first"

9. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

It is certainly true that all the new graphics cards are very expensive! However, I believe that apple's drop in market share is more concerned with the age of the imac (sorted now) + lack of tower upgrades (hopefully sorted out soon). Apple hardware has always been expensive + with the cost of developing OSX as well is a good reason to slightly increase the price of the systems.

I dont think there is correlation between the two. I would have though a well know name such as nVidia would help sell machines although it would be nice to have a choice.

10. networkman macrumors regular

maybe lack of choice helped reduce market share???

just when i thought nvidia had the gamers on their side and i posted that on this forum, ati came out with stuff that turned the tide again on their side as some pointed out here and in magazines i read right after i made my pro-nvidia post

did steve jobs change to nvidia because he got mad at ati like some have suggested?...and right during the apparent rise in popularity of ati?

if that is the case, then it is the bad steve jobs that business schools talk about destroying everrthing the good steve jobs builds

it is like the guy builds the coolest sand castle right next to the ocean at low tide right before the contest judges show up during high tide

11. spikey macrumors 6502a

nice to be here. though i cant post much any more. yeah the 600 looms.

Possibly Nvidia will still be more popular with PC gamers just because of driver support. The detonator drivers are updated much more than ATIs.

12. networkman macrumors regular

then that should bid well for apple in the short run and maybe in the long run

i know video cards help gaming, but i have been in a debate with a fellow engineer over whether a better video card makes a difference in photoshop and illustrator...i think it helps and he says it does not make that much of a difference if at all

i am sure it is more in the coding of those adobe products but i am not a programmer on that side of the fence in the techie world

13. spikey macrumors 6502a

A video card does matter to a graphics user. not a card that delivers fster frame rates or anything but one like an Nvidia Quadro which is really designed for a graphics user.
    Whether adobe code specifically for it though i dont know.
    Out of interest, why doesnt nvidia make a Dual GPU?

As for the contest between Nvidia and ATI, i think apple are in the good boat. Nvidia have ties with alot of good companies, so they are financially more secure. Also alot of companies prefer to use the Geforce2 or 3 chipset which is a good sign.
    ATI dont have as much backing. but their 8500 radeon has some awesome features.

14. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Steve & ATI

If you recall, there's a not-so-economic reason that Apple dumped ATI for nvidia.

Wasn't it ATI who spilt the beans the day before MacWorld?

15. spikey macrumors 6502a

Apple wouldnt drop ATI just because of one macworld event.

there is a future of the gaming platform at stake, apple doesnt make snap decisions just because of soemthing like that.

16. BurntCalc macrumors member

Nvidia likes Apple... but don't expect a mac version before a PC version.

17. mozez macrumors member

g4 scott said that the geforce 3 was out on the mac before the pc, it was actually on the pc months before apple got it. i think apple users wanted more options and that's when nvidia stepped in, nvidia doesn't have dual chips is really not a matter for them, you could m,ake them but nvidia makes the chips, not the boards, dual chips also causes pc problems with multiple devices of the same kind, such that the only real dual chip was an old voodoo card that worked as two boards together. it had it's issues, now osx could use dual chips for an nvidia gpu, just need somebody to make the board. ati was like apple, you don't see dell making apple computers, you don't see abit or asus making ati cards, only ati made them, seeing nvidia get such a jump in the market now ati is letting manufactuars use the radeon chips for their boards in hopes of the same effect. ms does alot with direct x and open gl has been more developed on a pc, i think osx will work all that out soon and the driver issue will go away. it just needs to be developed more and then the speed will follow. do remember where nvidia's trust lies, 95% of their market is with pc users so i wouldn't expect they'd piss them off by releasing for apple first, i know we'd all love that but realistically it's not lookin good. we'll just see in time i guess, best case i would think it comes out on both at the same time.