Geil RAM in a PM?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gohan, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Gohan macrumors member

Has anybody used Geil RAM in there G5 Pm's here? I have 2x 512Mb of CAS 2.5 value RAM and would like to use that in my new PM. The RAM has been very reliable in all the PC’s I’ve had it in, but I’m not 100% sure how fussy the memory controller in the G5 2.0gig is.

If anybody can give me a answer on this as I can get a good deal on a 2gig DC kit.

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Well you can always give it a shot, and maybe get lucky. PMs are REALLY fussy. I mixed standard Hynix and Crucial and had wicked problems. Now all Crucial and all is good.

You'll know if it's not going to work pretty soon after installing... you'd likely get kernel panics of mass proportion.

Good luck!

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

OT, but: "Geil RAM"?. Sometimes it's good that customers don't know about the true meaning of words in other languages... :D

4. Gohan thread starter macrumors member

I take it no one has used this RAM then?

I'll update on Tuesday let you know if it works or not. Hope it does as it's very cheap HQ RAM.

5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

6. Gohan thread starter macrumors member

It's good as it goes. It's PC-3200 that's been running at 2,4,3,7 @ 236fps 2.65v for over a year now.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

All of which has no bearing on its compatibility with the Mac. If the SPD settings are not Mac compatible, it won't work. Try it by all means. But even a positive pass on Rember and TechTool doesn't guarantee that you won't run into problems later.