Geil vs. OCZ iMac G5 Memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Estic, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Estic macrumors member

I purchase a iMac G5 20 inch on auguat 31. When the computer arrives I would like ot have my 2gb of memory ready. I just have a question on which memory you would go with, Geil or OCZ. They both make memory designed (or they say) for g5.

Thanks
    Estic

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I have never heard of either of those companies. Do they manufacture the RAM themselves? (doubtful of course;))

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Never heard of either company... must be foreign? Also, why do you need 2GB for an iMac? That sounds like overkill to me. 1GB should be plenty for anything but really high end video editing... which you really need a dual CPU Powermac for.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've never used either in a mac, but in a pc they are the two greatest rams in the market today. ocz ususally out preforms geil, but I have geil golden dragon chips because they were cheaper.

5. Estic thread starter macrumors member

6. iceTrX macrumors regular

I have Geil ultra platinum in my PC ($150 for 2X256MB DDR500), best memory I have ever bought.

7. KeareB macrumors member

I don't know how one would make a judgement such as "best memory I have ever bought." This isn't chocolate ice cream. I thought memory either works at spec or it doesn't...

It seems to me that what is most important is that you go with a vendor who (1) has a good reputation for supplying memory that isn't defective / doesn't go bad, and (2) carries a lifetime warranty on the memory.

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

OCZ and Geil are both PC overclocker RAM companies. OCZ has been around for a while, but Geil is a relatively new company tried to get a piece of the cake. With that said, I wouldn't buy RAM from them for Macs unless you can get it for cheaper than what Crucial's selling. There's really no reason why you should pay more for faster RAM when your Mac can't benefit from the faster timing. A lot of companies say their RAM is compatible with Macs, but what is certain is Apple uses Crucial/Micron RAM in their G5 systems.

You can get Crucial PC3200 1GB for $253, or a pair for $481, from Crucial.com.

9. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Didn't I read somewhere that Apple was using Samsung DIMMs?

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

They use Samsung SODIMMS in the Powerbooks and iBooks.