Gel/wax for styling hair?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lu0s3r322, Feb 9, 2007.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

My hair has always been left untouched and let to out to just hang and i only use styling gel for really fancy events. I was thinking of spiking my hair a little bit but not too much like a mohawk.

For those of you that spike your hair, what do you use? Gel or wax or etc.? And what's a popular, reliable, easy to get gel/wax?

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Gel.

Wax can feel greasy to me in some cases.... Also, each product will give you different results, so take a look at a variety of different brands and lines.

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I recommend a hair paste of some kind. They don't make your hair hard and glossy like gel and I just don't like the texture of wax. Paste gives a matte finish and that messy/scruffy look. I really like American Crew's Fibre but at the moment I'm using a product called Muk (not sure who makes it though).

4. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i either use glue (got2b) or creme (short sexy hair slept-in texture creme), and haven't used gel for ages. i use glue for strong hold and non-shinny texture. i use cream when i want my hair to look more natural. i've never quite figured out to use wax, but i use american crew fibre or forming cream when i'm out of everything.

5. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

I have found that the best wax/putty is a brand called "Gatsby" i have only seen it for sale in singapore and hong kong, hence i bought a fair bit of it. there are many varieties so it covers all hair types and results

if you can find it

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

you can find gatsby products at japanese markets in the U.S., like mitsuwa in arlington heights, IL.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Redken has several products, including a number 16 gel. I haven't used anything past the number 12 and it always worked much better than the consumer gels that you could find in stores like Target.

I've had no luck with wax and paste.

8. fotografica macrumors 68040

Gel dries hard and crunchy.Waxes,pastes etc don't.Whatever you use,less is more.If you use too much gel,it will flake when you brush it out. Waxes,pastes are also great for that spikey look.If you use too much of either,your hair will have that "greasy" look to it,plus the hair will clump together.It comes down to a matter of preference really. In my salon,I'd say they're both 50/50 with guys.Proper explanation on how to use them is important as well....

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I like using wax for spiky style hair, but it takes 3 shampoo/rinse to get the wax out. I now use gel.

10. Frisco macrumors 68020

Since I live in the Guido State let me tell you what I use:

For everyday spiking I use KMS Hair Play, which is a molding paste. It is excellent!

For club nights when I want that extreme hold I use "got2b" glued.

http://www.got2b.com/

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

interesting, i was thinking about switching to a new different gel because for many years, i've been using Crew, and i'm sick of it. After a few a hours it flakes out/off and it looks like i got terrible dandruff....
    Any suggestions.... incase it matters i sometimes to the messy spike look or the flip look....

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm a total idiot with hair product (to the point that I'm surprised that I haven't been asked to surrender my gay card yet), so I prefer wax over gel.

With me, I get one chance with gel. Once it's "dry", there's no going back. With wax, I can munk with it throughout the day. At work, usually by lunch time (several attempts of re-styling later), I'll end up with something decent looking.

Wax also survives rain and heat fairly well, so I'm not freaking out like some of my gelled coworkers when it's raining and we have to dash to the car for lunch, or look like I'm wearing a helmet on days when we're outside and it's 95'F+. With shampoo and hot water, it comes right out on the first try.

I love this stuff, but my hair's fairly short, so I can't vouch for how well it scales on longer dos. :)

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/TIGI-BedHead-Stick-People-2-7-Ounce/dp/B000FKK046

13. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Try Crew Pomade.

Its like a gel and wax and texturizer. Just try it.

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I use american crew fibre creme as well and i have for years. Its a great look ... better than gel imo.

In my experience the gel / creme does not cause dandruff ... its more how well you wash / shampoo your hair.

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Any UK suggestions? I've never seen any of these products on sale over here.

16. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

New Jersey? :D

17. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I use working wax, myself. Gel tends to make my hair clumpy, whereas the wax is easier to deal with and doesn't leave a ton of gummy residue.

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

excuse me...i just spit out laughing when i read your comment. Maybe their hanging out with Bon Jovi too :p

19. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Ha he is from New Jersey

20. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I used to have this wax, I forget the name, but I went swimming in the ocean for a day, took a shower w/shampoo, and it still stayed in. It was quite amazing.

21. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

When I spike my hair I've used Joico Spiker hair glue. Better spikes and they last longer than plain gel.

22. fotografica macrumors 68040

These are two of the bigger sellers in my salon with men:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both are wax/paste types and don't dry crunchy.And just to clear something up,white flakes are NOT dandruff. Dandruff is yellow flakes..White flakes are either dry scalp or excess product flaking off.This is one of the biggest misconceptions I hear from my clients almost daily..

23. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i use a gel called "bed head". good stuff...

24. LotasHelp macrumors newbie

Do you gus know a product that would help for a spikey look that is messy, but high up in the air. I tried Got2B products but it doent help because after 10 minutes it just drops. Whats is a good paste product that would hold up 8 inch of hair?