Geldof nominated for Nobel Peace Prize!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mitthrawnuruodo, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    A Norwegian politician, Jan Simonsen, has announced that he has nominated Bob Geldof for the Nobel Peace Prize, because of "Geldof's long time work to bring attention to the problem of the poorest countries of the world". He also said that he "for years have meant that a representative person from the rock music community should receive the award, to show the rock musics transcending character".

Story (in Norwegian)

The backside: The politician in question is one of the most controversial in Norway, has been excluded from the right wing party Fremskrittspartiet, and earlier nominated George W. Bush for the same prize after the invasion of Iraq, of course takes a bit of the joy away.

Another issue is that the Nobel Peace Prize comity has always tried to keep all nominations secret, and urged the nominees to do the same, to avoid people exploiting a nomination (more than hundred are nominated each year), but it's election year in Norway and I guess Simonsen needs all the PR he can for his new party which basically consists of rejects from other religious right parties.

Still some good may come from this: But since the comity failed to give Geldof the price after Live Aid back in '85 they now has gotten a very good chance to redeem themselves.
  2. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    Which Live event is he nominated for? Live Aid which helped keep Mengistu in power or Live 8 which is based on dodgy economics? Geldof has done a lot of good but not as much as is popularly imagined. Rock "stars" get involved in these things as an ego boost (and, depending how cynical you are, as a financial boost) - yes I know about the profits after Live 8 etc). 20 years since Live Aid and Africa is worse than it was before. Free trade is probably the answer but that is not due to Geldof.
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Both, and all the other work he's done to raise awareness of the poverty issue in the time between those two events...
  4. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    I know that this guy has done some good, but the Nobel Peace Prize? For hosting a concert? Let's be resonable...
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    "Peace on earth depends on our ability to secure our living environment." From last years award speach.

And sir Bob Geldof has the last 20 years initiated both wast amounts of humanitarian help to aid hunger victims in the 3rd world and risen awareness of the problem to a couple of generations, he hasn't just been "hosting a concert". How many lives that has been saved directly and indirectly you can only guess. I don't see many more deserving.
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    He shouldn't get any prizes for this. He hasn't done THAT much this year with that concert.

And it was funny watching all those musicians on stage. How much was that stage worth collectively? $5 billion? Even Bono, the worst of them all, has almost $1 billion. And Paul has $1 billion.

What are THEY waiting for......for their money to collect dust? Is it pretty to look at? I'd appreciate it if they donated $100 million each. Its just a small fraction of what they have, and even if it was gone, they wouldn't notice.

I think Live8 was funny more than anything else. I honestly believe that many of the big bands were genuinely doing it as a charitable thing, but the smaller acts like Razorlight just wanted to be there. It may not be at the forefront of their thoughts. I believe they are pretty genuine as well (except Pete Doherty...), but at the back of their minds, they were really eager to be there because it's cool to be seen with the Macca's and Bono's of the music world.
  7. gwangung macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    And I'm not so sure that you've done any research on the man.

Isn't this sorta like ragging on Bill Gates or Paul Allen for not doing anything philanthropic with their money without checking what they've done with it?
  8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia

Same goes for Oprah for me. Good woman, but Nobel Peace Prize material? Not quite yet.
  9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Agreed. Has she been nominated too?
  10. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005

Completely agree, i think it's pathetic when they ask people to donate and they have 1 billion in the bank what are they going to do with it, buy stupid yellow sunglasses? plastic surgury? please
  11. Militar macrumors member

Jul 4, 2005
    That's wonderful. Both Bob Geldof and Oprah Winfrey deserve to be nominated for Nobel Peace Prizes for their efforts in bringing to light the struggles of people from poorer nations. Their proactive approach to world problems should be rewarded.