Gene Kelly VW Commercial

Discussion in 'Community' started by Otto Rehhagel, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Jan 21, 2005
    Has anyone seen this? This has to be one of the coolest commercials that VW has ever created. I really admire their style in advertising. The car ain't bad either, but it won't come to the US for some time. (It's an ad from the UK).

Golf GTI w/Gene Kelly
  2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    Thats way cool,never seen it on telly here yet. :cool:
  3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Yeah, it's been on a couple of times, coolest bit of retro video post-pro I've seen in a long time, I think Gene kelly would have loved it big time.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, us North Americans won't see it until we actually get the new model Golf. ;) Don't think it's out until next year.

I love dancing like that. Wish I could do it. :)
  5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  6. MOFS macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2003
    Durham, UK
    I wonder if this'll turn that version of Singin' in the Rain into a no. 1 like ads have done in the past with Flat Beat from the Levis ad or Bohemian Like You from the Vodafone ad. Pretty cool ad nevertheless.
  7. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    yeah it's a cool concept, but some of the post work is iffy to say the least.
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    "Strange and Beautiful" by Aqualung. Man, I remember that being a pretty great commercial, also a VW television advert. I remember emailing VW about it, asking what the song was. I believe it was the most requested song on a radio station, and it wasn't even released as a single!! Nobody even knew the name or who sang it!! Well, eventually they found out who sang it, but the single wasn't to be released for a few months, and the album for 4 months or so.

Love that song. :)
  9. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2004
    South Bucks, UK
    Wow, I really like it! I haven't seen it on tv yet - hopefully they'll be playing it in cinemas, i'd like to catch it on a massive screen with that tune nice and loud! I still enjoy seeing the BMW ad, with the Prodigy Soundtrack.

How do they actually make an ad like that? I really have no idea.

Now if only VW could manage to fix my dads new Golf, we're tired of the seals dropping off the doors, and water leaking in as a result - as well as the metallic scraping noise coming from the left front wheel - which has involved three trips to the garage and as yet no solution... 6 months old and in the garage 5 times... :rolleyes:
  10. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Am I the only one who is bothered by these commercials with footage of dead people? If I was a celebrity... well, I'd be dead, so I probably wouldn't care. But I still don't like it. I mean, just because you can doesn't mean you have to. It's one thing to finish a movie when the actor dies and you're almost done, they'd probably want that, but this I don't like.

It's kinda creepy.
  11. angelneo macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2004
    It's a cool concept but strangely, this kind of rub me the wrong way. I have been a fan of Gene Kelly and watching this feels so wrong... and out of place... it's almost felt like they are being disrespectful of him....
  12. iJoe macrumors member

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't see it as disrespectul... It's just implying that if it were done now, it might be more like that. I think without the tagline it could be taken as a bit iffy, but the caption explains that it's 'The Original, Updated'.

Car adverts seem to be the hot thing at the moment... What with the contraversial Polo ad and the robot Citoren C4. (BTW, I've written about these ads and link to the videos on, check out the sig.)

Also, I doubt very much that it is in VWs style to be disrespectul, at least not to a man with so many fans. I expect they intended it to be more a homage. Also, if they were taking the mickey, it would mean (in some roundabout way) that they were taking the mickey out of the original VW Golf GTI - I don't really think they'd be going out of their way to do that.
  13. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    That one was really clever :D
    The new GTI look's quite nice, I don't think that the last GTI looked that good :rolleyes:
  14. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    saw these GTI's when i was in Europe a few weeks back-

my '04 Golf is just fine though

however- this ad is really fun
    GO VW!
  15. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I wasn't particularly impressed with the music mashup. Seemed like it kinda did a disservice to both songs. The hip-hop dancing didn't look nearly as graceful as the original Gene Kelly moves. I've seen much smoother hip-hop dancers -- the CGI, I think is the problem here. But it was a neat idea for an ad -- just would like to have seen it executed better.
  16. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    ditto to whats been said here, the excecution is pretty poor by todays standards. Nothing against the guys who did the post pro, I think it was somethign 750 off the top of my head but VW should have given it to the mill. They would probably have been able to do it justice. Great idea though (as long as you don't take issue with the whole dead people thing) i would have thought that instead of just trying to piece footage together they would have got the dancers to wear blue or green screen tight things over their heads. Then they could have made a 3d head ala the matrix and stretched it over the top, giving them a perfect version of his head. Instead of that jumpy sized crap head that they have on the advert, i saw it on the net and asumed it would be great on tv but now i've seen it clearly i can see how badly done it is! its a shame really.
  17. alienex macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2005
    About the issue with disrespect. There is an article about that..VW actually spoke to Gene Kellys wife and got her permission and she approved everything they did. They did not want to be disrespectful at all. They also got permission from the movie company or something like that trans something. All I know is VW took their time with this ad and personally asked permissiom from Mrs. Kelly. They did not want to disrespect Gene in anyway. The article is out there somewhere.

and Personally I think the commercial rocks!!! I love the music, the dancing, Gene Kelly, and the car.
  18. MacMarino macrumors member

Jan 31, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    Great stuff!

I really enjoyed watching it. I dont see any reason to complain about it and turn it into something bad. Its always nice to see an alternative to an old classic. This is just fun.

Macmarino :p