Gene Pitney dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Apr 5, 2006.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Gene Pitney was a very talented singer and songwriter whose contribution to music will be missed by his many fans. Thanks for the lasting memories and may he rest in peace.

4. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

How did he go ? Something got(ten) hold of his heart ?

5. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Dunno. But if it WAS his heart, he was pretty much 24 hours from Tulsa if he wanted it fixed there. Lordy - what a way to go, to die in Wales.

6. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

heheh, you never know... it didn't stop Queen. Sadly. :eek: :p

Very sad though... Gene could belt 'em out. :( :D

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Cardiff "Town without pity"

24hrs from Tulse Hill

etc etc

Great voice as it happens.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Born in Hartford, Conn., on Feb. 17, 1941, Pitney had his first success as a songwriter with "Rubber Ball," a Top 10 hit for Bobby Vee in 1961. Later that year, Ricky Nelson had a hit with Pitney's "Hello Mary Lou."

As a performer, Pitney had his first success that same year with "(I Wanna) Love My Life Away."

But Burt Bacharach and Hal David provided the songs that put Pitney in the Top 10: "(The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valance," "Only Love Can Break a Heart" and "Twenty Four Hours from Tulsa."

"Only Love Can Break a Heart" was Pitney's biggest U.S. hit, peaking at No. 2 on the charts in 1962. The No. 1 song at the time was The Crystals' "He's a Rebel," written by Pitney.

He had more than a dozen Top 40 hits and even contributed to an early Rolling Stones recording session.

Pitney waited until 1990 for his first British No. 1 - he rerecorded "Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart" with Marc Almond.

Pitney also had some success as a country singer, pairing with George Jones to record "I've Got Five Dollars and It's Saturday Night" and "Louisiana Man."

He recorded in Italian and Spanish, and twice took second place at the San Remo Song Festival in Italy. He also had a regional hit with "Nessuno Mi Puo' Giudicare."

Pitney was elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

He died in the Hilton of my home town (Cardiff). He gave a concert last night in St David's Hall (a concert hall named after our patron saint), went back to his hotel room and just died. They say he just appeared as though he lay back for a nap... 65 years old.

11. stebu macrumors newbie

stebu

What a great voice. I'd actually forgotten about him, but he obviously retained a great following, hence his tour of the UK.
    My favourite song from him was "A Town Without Pity" referring to the (at the time) taboo instances of pregnancy out of wedlock and how young people could be ostracised by friends and family.

12. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Also my fave from Gene Pitney ... the movie from 1961 is outstanding as well with Kirk Douglas. Remember Robert Blake as one of the rapists before he moved on to other things later in his life?