Genealogy Programs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Feb 15, 2005.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

My fiancee and I are buying a MacMini sometime near the end of this year. She has said for YEARS that she really wants to get a geneology program for our computer. She was orginally going to get Master genealogist, but I dont believe it is availiable for Mac. So with that being said, do you guys know of any kick butt Mac genealogy programs? She is VERY picky (this is a hobby of hers....genealogy, not being picky. lol) and only wants the best program out there. She wants to scan in pictures, birth records, death records, ect.... this program has to have just about every possible bell and wistle short of including actual video

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/s...ion=search&str=genealogy&plt[]=macosx&x=0&y=0

my mother has used Family Tree for years upon years... that might be your best bet.. It appears to be called MacFamilyTree

EDIT: Correction.. that doesn't appear to be the same program after further inspection... hopefully someone else can chime in on this one.

3. mgrossi macrumors newbie

Genealogy Programs

The best and one of the best programs for genealogy aficionados is call Reunion by Leister Productions, she should not be disapointed with this program. "http://www.leisterpro.com/"

4. inlimbo macrumors 6502

My mum is getting into this whole family history thing. She is currently using Family Tree maker 2005 on her Wintel box. I am trying to get here to switch over to Linux because of the various problems with MS windows. (Can't convice here to buy a mac mini as yet). So i needed to find a genealogy program that works on linux.

Anway the point of mmy story is.. Get GRAMPS . It works on MAC. I have heard people rave about it. It also works with other Genealogy programs. Best of all it is FREE. Check out their website for full details on its functions. Looks quite good to me, better than that expensive crappy Family Tree Maker 2005.

Yes it appears u can scan in pictures and stuff. Have a look at this first before u spend a fortune on something else. Its not some crappy shareware POS.

Cheers
    inlimbo...

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

GRAMPS runs under X11, not Aqua.

6. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Genealogy program for OS X

Reunion 8 seems to be state of the art for OS X. If your fiancee is picky about her programs she should enjoy this one. It can import GED files, as can most of the programs out there. It accommodates photographs, notes, sources, etc., as a good genealogy program should. You can take a look at http://www.leisterpro.com/

7. nigeltech macrumors newbie

Haven't tried any of the others but PAW2 (Personal Ancestry Writer II) is very nice to use, free and very comprehensive. Can add photos, scans, that sort of stuff. Very cool. I'm running version 63, I notice is now up to v80.
    http://www.lanopalera.net/Genealogy/AboutPAWriter.html

8. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

9. SpudIdaho macrumors newbie

Geneology Software

I am a new mac user and want to purchase the best software program for geneology that works well and with New Family Search. I am considering Mac Family Tree and Family Tree Maker. I would be interested in visiting with someone who has had experience with either or both.

10. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

I use Reunion. Also have their iPod Touch/iPhone App which syncs to the main program on my computer. Pretty slick program.

11. DrBubba macrumors newbie

MacFamilyTree User

When I was over on the "dark" side I used Family Tree Maker. When I wised up and moved to the "light" side I switched to MacFamilyTree. I like the graphic interface, the cool mapping features, the way it presents data, and the overall user interface experience. Their app for iPod/iPhone/iPad allows you to take your data with you in a very convenient way. It didn't hurt that MacFamily Tree was a lot less expensive than Reunion. As the old saw goes, "Different stroke for different folks." MacFamily Tree works for me but YMMV.

12. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Been using MacFamily Tree predominantly for the 2 way synchronisation between Mac & iPhone/iPad, but the amount of detail you can apply to it is phenomenal.

You can put in names and relationships if you want to keep it simple, or you can go to the nth degree and add in dates for pretty much every significant event you want, adding in media to all aspects of it (multiple photos of the person, records of birth/marriage/death etc). The different views of the tree are pretty cool as well, the wireframe 3D model, the various reports you can generate as well.

Best program I've used from this genre, although the other programs were more record keeping and the UI on each left a lot to be desired.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Another vote for MacFamilyTree. Let me say that Reunion has been a venerable genealogy application on MacOS/MacOS X for decades. It is due respect. However, I have tried Reunion and MacFamilyTree. I had to go with MacFamilyTree. Among its many features is to access both major genealogical websites, Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org. All within the application, you may automatically create and post a genealogical website on MobileMe.com, Ancestry.com, and/or MacFamilyTree.com. Be mindful of the fact that websites will soon be unavailable on MobileMe.com. However, this is not really an issue because the site uses only data that is in your local database.

Each family tree is an SQL database. As has been stated, you may include as much detail about your family members as you like. MacFamilyTree is free to download and check out. The demonstration mode is time-limited and and entry-limited. I have the license fee and currently have over 170 people in my family tree.