General Casts War in Religious Terms

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Oct 16, 2003.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-general16oct16000427,1,4015017.story

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

omfg

i can totally see why a muslim would see the US' actions as an attack on islam.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

This guy may be a good field commander, but that's about his Peter Principle limit...Deliver us from zealots of whatever sort!

Now, Bush has repeatedly said all this isn't a religious war, at least not on our part. This dude has run his mouth before on this issue. I wonder if the person responsible for appointing him is a political enemy of Bush? Who wants to embarrass him? Trouble is, he's embarrassed the whole bloomin' U.S.!

Mumble, mumble, mumble...

:(, 'Rat

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-arkin16oct16,1,6820671.story

It's worth reading this op-ed piece, also from today's Times. It's a bit bizarre to hear Rumsfeld claim the need for the "context" of Boykin's remarks. I mean, what kind of context would make these comments appropriate?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Of course I KNOW my god is the one true God, and yours is a worthless pile of dung, and an idol to boot. My God can kick your God's ass. There's no way your God could possibly be the right one, so I win by default. Not because I have a superior military to back me up, I could have half a squad of nitwits with water pistols and I would still triumph over your stupid piddly God. Serves you right that you lost. Silly tools of Satan.

Glad to see we are clearly in the right here. God Bless America.

7. Pinto macrumors newbie

OMG It's the Crusades all over again.

No wonder the Muslim world is worried.

If God gave America the Atomic Bomb,

Why did he give the Satan worshipers all the oil?

It's that kind of religious zealotry that gave the world Osama.

I wonder who has killed more people in the name of God.

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've said it before, but it fits again here: Most of the world's problems can be traced directly to people who are too certain about what they believe.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

IJ, that's why I commonly use words like "generally" and "some" and other modifiers to indicate reservations in my opinions. And a lot of "IMO", 'cause opinions can be based on erroneous info...

:), 'Rat

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

And after Sept 11, I can totally see why a Christian in this country could see the Islamic Radicals actions as an attack on Christianity.

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Because capitalism and military defense are Christian tenets? :confused:

They attacked the WTC and the Pentagon, not churches.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i can totally see how an american wouldn't mind attacking any arab country.

i can see both sides, but i agree w/ neither. sloppy targeting on both sides.

13. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's already been pointed out why this is a warped viewpoint, so I can only add that attitudes like this are a definition of the problem, and by no means the solution.

In fact, this particular statement is quite insulting to all non-Christian Americans, and is particularly offensive to the memories of all the non-Christians who died in the 9-11 attacks.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, I gotta say, I felt attacked that day. Saying this was an attack on Christianity leaves out a whole lot of Americans.

15. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Unfortunately, to a whole lot of American Christians, non-believers just don't count for very much. That's an important fact to keep tucked into the backs of our brains, for whenever church-state separation issues come up for debate.

16. pdham macrumors member

I hate these arguements, and as many of you may already know from our abortion discussion I am what most people would call a "Jesus Freak." Christ backed violence is what these people are preaching, and I honestly can't think about a more hipocritical thing. This is not a religious war (another absured term in my opinion) and I am fairly certain it would not be applauded by the God thats name is often put in front of it. I also believe that God doesnt feel that an American life that was lost on 9/11 is worth more then an Iraqi or Afghan. When will someone step up to break the circle of violence.

17. JackStorm macrumors newbie

This guy is a perfect exemple of a religious extremist. And the comments he made are extremly disturbing. A man in his possition should not say things like this in public (even if it's to a small group of people) And as a soldier (an officer non the less) he has a certain degree of reponsiblity for what he says and does. Specialy concidering the religous tension in the area.

Ok, sure, if these are his personal beliefs, fine, he has the right to belive what he wants. But there comes a time when one should refraim from speaking them, as doing so might endanger others.

Now, I know some people (the ones who try to defend his actions) want to make this out to be a "freedom of speech" issue. But this is one of those moments when one should refraim from expressing ones personal views as he did.

P.S: I had to add that last part due to the fact that I got into a longwinded debate with someone on another forum when he tried to turn this into "just" a "freedom of speech" issue. When quite clearly there are ALOT of other issues and factors involed.

18. JackStorm macrumors newbie

True, people really must stop using gods name to justify their wars and killing. And even though I myself don't belive in god. I find these kinds of actions to be insulting to people who truly fallow whatever religion they belive in and/or preach. Killing in the name of god, for whatever reason, is a pathetic and hipocritical excuse. As most (if not all, though I can't say for sure since I haven't studied them all) religions state that killing is wrong.

19. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Its kinda ironic that radical Islamists, who profess to hate Israel and Jews, are trying to gain nuclear weapons, which, you could argue were invented by Jews. :eek:

20. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As well you might, but I wonder if I'd be telling you something you don't know by saying that these views are quite prevalent. What's more, they are rarely repudiated by other Christians.

21. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I am sorry, you are right. Radical Islam loves Jews, Shammans, Budists, Athiests, etc.

It was an attack against everyone that isn't in their radical islamic sec. I would personally love to fight in the war on terror. Not against Islam, but against the radicals. Nothing we ever do will change the way they feel about us.

I have family that Islamic, I have dated someone that Islamic. They are a very peaceful people. There are parts of the religion that are interpreted to be violent, just like Christianity, but zealots, and religious fanatics are the problem in all religions.

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

1) look at max weber's (a rather famous historian) look at the link between puritan (one kind of christian) values and the development of capitalism.

2. i think bttm was talking more about the religiosity of the people than the target's they picked. these guys have a much bigger issue with christians and jews than with atheists and others with whom they have less.... negative experience, if you will, historically.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah so al Qaeda was getting back at the Puritans! Now I get it. About time someone gave those guys what-for.:D

24. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

's why i came back to the political forums... :D

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why thank you... I was hoping I wasn't just amusing myself with that one.:)