General Ebay Question

Discussion in 'Community' started by modyouup, Aug 23, 2003.

1. modyouup macrumors member

I just have a general question about the legitimacy of Apple products on ebay. If you go to ebay and for example, search for the 17" Powerbook G4 you will get tons of results many of which seem to be MUCH cheaper than retail prices.

Buying a computer is a big purchase so I wanted to know if anyone out there has bought brand new powerbooks or powermacs on ebay and have had success because some of the prices seem to good to be true. The link below is an example of what I'm talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2749137530&category=14909

Can you believe this "Buy it Now" price? It's like I'm dreaming. :)

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: General Ebay Question

Congratulations. You have located another eBay submission. :)

Notice how often CAPS are used, as well as a cut and paste off Apple's website indicating the specs of the machine.

Also, notice the exact serial number and list part number of the machine as the author has provided.

Above all else, check out the customer reviews for the author.

Not everything you read is true, yet not everything you read is false.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if at any time you see an auction and think "wow, this is too good to be true" or "i wish i could ask someone about this", it's definitely a scam. the only possible exception is that someone might list an item with a buy-it-now way less than market value, and you happen to stumble on the auction before anyone else. but that's pretty rare.

keep in mind, market value hits all auctions, so if it's legit, other users will be bidding the price up pretty quickly.

pnw

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Its really hard to tell here, the seller has the pic of the serial number and stuff, but the excessive caps and copying from Apple seems fishy, but then again the feedback is really good. I wouldn't do it, just because its so much money, but it seems legit...but you never know, it also seems WAY too good to be true.:confused:

5. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

****! ****! ****!

Everyone should be honest and there should be an ebay option saying "Yes I'm taking your money and running" or "I'm insane and this is all true".

Mmmmm yeah that's my perfect world. :D