general gaming questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by BiggeeC, Feb 18, 2003.

1. BiggeeC macrumors regular

hey everybody. i'm kind of new to the whole gaming scene, so go easy on me, ok? Here are some questions I've been wondering about:

1. Unreal for X-Box-is it any good? Is it better than the version for Mac?
    2. I have a 14" ibook (I'mnot a computer guy, but I know it's the top ibook). Is this powerful enough to play the good games?
    3. How do consoles compare to eachother in terms of on-line gaming?
    4. Are they better than computers? What are the differences?

Thanks for you time everyone. I'mtrying to get into on-line gaming, and I'mjust curious about some things. Bye

Chris

2. gaomay macrumors regular

Gaming

I have PB G4 667 and it runs Warcraft III (which is fantastic by the way) very well. However, I'm not sure of the graphics accelerator on your iBook - find out what that is and folks on here should be able to enlighten you.

3. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Your iBook most likely has a ATI Radeon Mobility (AGP 2x). If you bought it after November 2002, It has a 7500 model of that card with 32MB of VRAM. If you bought it before last November, it has 16 MB of VRAM.

VRAM= Video memory(more the better)

The 32MB one is powerful enought to play most games at high quality. If you have the 16MB one, the games should still run pretty well. But if you want the Ultimate in gaming portability, get a new 17" PowerBook with an NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go (AGP 4x) with 64MB of VRAM. If you want a desktop, wait for the new GeForce FX with 128MB-256MB of VRAM! That would be sweet.

4. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Re: general gaming questions

1. Whatever this version of Unreal is (I guess it is Unreal Tournament) it will never be able to be "better" in any form than the computer game, so if you can get it for your iBook, you will be pretty set, that machine will be fast enough for a "older" game like this.
    3. By now, you can´t compare the consoles in terms of online gaming. The xBox will probably be the first console to be online, and the PS2 is very close behind. Both systems are as far as I know still in beta testing, yet the PS2 is already online in Japan.
    4. The differences between consoles and computers are, although those lines begin to fade, the positives for consoles are:
    - cheaper to buy
    -last longer (no need to upgrade for about 5 years)
    - have most games available (especially PS2)
    - the games are not buggy and have a higher QA than computer games, because you can´t patch the software once it is out.
    - normally they don´t crash (xBox excluded here)

Using a console is more convenient... put in the disc and get going. Its more comfy to sit in a couch with a controller than in front of the comp in a chair... but thats another story!

I have a Mac and a PS2 and I think its a good combination. I don´t miss most games.

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I've got the 12.1" 800 iBook, and Warcraft III runs fairly well, and all of the others run great. Medal of Honor is fantastic.

Regards,
    Gus

6. Noc macrumors newbie

Re: Re: general gaming questions

The XBox is very much online - Xbox Live has been out since December. Unreal Championship, Mechassault, Ghost Recon, Capcom vs. SNK and various sports titles are all available for online play, and the Live network features (buddy lists, invite games, voice chat) make for a decent gaming experience. Phantasy Star Online for Xbox comes out next week for Xbox, and has been available for Gamecube for months. PS2 also has some online titles: Socom, Everquest, etc..

Now some games, like Unreal, are much better experiences on the computer (using a mouse is more intuitive than controller for those games, imo), but other games, like Capcom vs. SNK are a better experience on the console.

I sold my PS2 for an XBox in November just to play the Xbox Live online titles, and my XBox has yet to crash. I do miss Dance Dance Revolution on my PS2, though. :(

Sorry to sidetrack the discussion. I do agree that online gaming is still dominated by computer games, but it does exist on the console, and in a couple years, most console games will have online features.

7. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Re: Re: Re: general gaming questions

I have to add here that in GERMANY, where I am from, NO console is really online yet. It looks like the Gamecube will be the first console to be online here, and there are some reasons that delay the online launch, for example DSL or Cable connections are still quite rare in Germany, and the online services will have to be paid via credit card at first, but many, many people here don´t own a card yet. We buy and sell using cash, mostly, or the so-called EC-cards which don´t count as a "real" credit card.

So, the online launch for the consoles will take a while around here, and I am (of course) not well informed what is going on in the US for that matter.

8. Das macrumors regular

1. If you like playing on a controller, have a blast. It's not as good as the PC version (and the mac probably)
    2. It should play most fine, but don't get used to having things set on the highest setting. You have to tune things down to get a good framerate.

3. PS2 and Xbox are free right now, both will move to subscriptions (e.g. 9.99 a month), so if you like paying, have a go. The Xbox supports only broadband (DSL, Cable) while the PS2 supports both narrowband (dial up) and broadband. As for the GC, Nintendo is going down the PC theology and won't charge for monthly services, but will leave it in the hands of the game developers to figure out.

4. Consoles are meant for games. For the most part, they are better than pc/macs. PCs are the most powerful (faster processors and gfx cards), but most of the games don't take advantage of their graphics. If you like FPS', extreme strategy games, flight sims, sims (aside from Steel Battalion), and you like mods and hacks, go for the PC/Mac. If you like anything else, get a console.