General instability with many of my programs in 10.4.7??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by countryB0Y, Sep 14, 2006.

1. countryB0Y macrumors newbie

countryB0Y

I have a two month old Macbook Pro 15" 2.0g w/ 1gb ram. I am current on all software updates.

I have noticed a lot of hung programs or programs that quit and ask if I want to reopen, report, yada yada.

I upgraded to iTunes 7 yesterday and it randomly shut down on me 3 times while just playing music or scrolling through my library.

iPhoto has done the same thing, it will hang up while I try to browe my library.

I've encourntered great instability with audacity and adium as well. I've had iChat quit on me a dozen times since I bought the computer.

I know that Macs aren't perfect, but I have from a troubled past of PC laptops and desktops and I excepted a little bit more stability. I don't think i'm doing anything wrong. I'm not editing any script or anything like that. just movies, music, web, word, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it third party RAM? Do you have any third party hardware plugged in? If you create a new user account, does the instability carry through? :)

3. countryB0Y thread starter macrumors newbie

countryB0Y

Ram was installed by Apple when I purchased it from apple.com.

Nothing plugged in but my power cable.

I didn't know I could create a new account. Will it still show all my movies/music/photos/apps/bookmarks under the new user??

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, you can create a new account in System Preferences, under the Accounts pane. For now it won't have all your data but it'll have a fresh set of preference files. It's sometimes useful to set up an account like this as a troubleshooting technique, just to check if it has the same problems. :)