Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2003
Running a G4 1GHz TiBook using 10.3.2..... I was wondering if there are any manual ways to maintain system performance on Panther. I used to know how to repair file permissions on Jaguar, via Disk Utility and by booting outside the system (fsck -y). But now this doesn't work, I'm back to square one... to compound matters my TiBook is behaving a little bit 'eccentric'. Following boot up, the icons are all over the place in folders, and worse still, after spending a couple of hours filing my iTunes library following restart it had reverted back to the way it was before!

At the moment my only thought is to do a complete software restore and re-install the lot, but I do not really fancy this for obvious reasons. Anyone any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Stan

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: General Maintainence On Panther

Originally posted by Stan
Running a G4 1GHz TiBook using 10.3.2..... I was wondering if there are any manual ways to maintain system performance on Panther. I used to know how to repair file permissions on Jaguar, via Disk Utility and by booting outside the system (fsck -y). But now this doesn't work, I'm back to square one... to compound matters my TiBook is behaving a little bit 'eccentric'. Following boot up, the icons are all over the place in folders, and worse still, after spending a couple of hours filing my iTunes library following restart it had reverted back to the way it was before!

At the moment my only thought is to do a complete software restore and re-install the lot, but I do not really fancy this for obvious reasons. Anyone any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Stan
Use Disk Utility. You may also use MacJanitor, Onyx, Cocktail, or any of several other freeware/shareware utilities available whereever fine Mac software is posted.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I used to live by MacJanitor but I've just discovered Macaroni. It runs the cron jobs automatically (but not just in the middle of the night), repairs permissions, and removes language packs. $9 well spent if you ask me.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
The absolute best way to repair permissions is to startup on the OSX install disk or another hard drive and do it from there.

I use to use Coctail, OnyX, MacJanitor, but since I have gotten System Optimizer that's all I have used. It peforms Prebinding, Cache dumping, daily/weekly/monthly tasks. OnyX and Cocktail will do all this too but for some reason I like the simpler interface of System Optimizer better.

gordyt

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Hi Stan,

I posted a summary, with screen shots, of 4 general Panther maintenance tips. Click Here to read them. I have a link near the top of the page to the original article if you want more details.

--gordy

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by übergeek
use cocktail. its shareware and you cant do certain things, but it works. its simple. it has a gui :p

and for that fsck -y thing, its now "fsck -yf" on panther if you didnt change anything major...since the disk is journaled, you need to have the -f flag.

how bout cron eh.... http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/12/06/terminal_osx.html :)

I really really like Cocktail but since they went to a pay version I just don't see that it's worth while paying for since everything it does is found in other programs for free.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by MacBandit
I really really like Cocktail but since they went to a pay version I just don't see that it's worth while paying for since everything it does is found in other programs for free.
too bad cocktail is one of the only nicer looking apps. i dunno what it is, but it makes more sense to me. but i'd rather do everything you can do in cocktail using terminal or whatever...its easier.

Stan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2003
Once again the users of this forum have come up with the goods! Thanks very much for your help and advice.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I just downloaded Cocktail & System Optimizer X. Just finished running Cocktail, Repair Permissions, & System Optimizer X. Is it a good idea to run them weekly? I noticed different placed that said weekly and monthly. Thank You. ;)

p.s.. Is it OK to run them at the same time?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by wdlove
I just downloaded Cocktail & System Optimizer X. Just finished running Cocktail, Repair Permissions, & System Optimizer X. Is it a good idea to run them weekly? I noticed different placed that said weekly and monthly. Thank You. ;)

p.s.. Is it OK to run them at the same time?

They run the same tasks. There is no reason to run both of them as they are just graphic interfaces for the same unix maintenance tasks. The only reason to use one or both of them is for their unique system customization tools. I would run them weekly there's really no need to run them more often.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I have a new favorite system utility app but if you are a novice when it comes to how the system works I do not recommend it. The reason is it has some very powerful tools that for the power user can be very handy but in the wrong hands could trash a system in a heart beat.

The program is Xupport.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
I have a new favorite system utility app but if you are a novice when it comes to how the system works I do not recommend it. The reason is it has some very powerful tools that for the power user can be very handy but in the wrong hands could trash a system in a heart beat.

The program is Xupport.

Thank you MacBandit. I happen to have Xupport installed, It was by the recommendation of some one on this forum. I used it once without difficulty. Don't let it run as set.

So as you commented I should run them weekly. They should each be run separately? From what I could tell it's OK do use other programs at the same time?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by wdlove
Thank you MacBandit. I happen to have Xupport installed, It was by the recommendation of some one on this forum. I used it once without difficulty. Don't let it run as set.

So as you commented I should run them weekly. They should each be run separately? From what I could tell it's OK do use other programs at the same time?

It shouldn't hurt to run other programs while these tasks are running. They aren't working with the applications directly rather the database and cache files for them. You don't have to run them weekly you could do it bimonthly or monthly. It really doesn't matter but it really doesn't take that much time to do and it could most certainly keep your system running at its best. As for running the tasks separatley or individually I would just run the individually but I don't really know if it hurts to run them simultaneously. If you use a program like Xupport, System Optimizer, or Cocktail they can perform all these tasks for you at one click of the button but they get ran individually.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
daily, weekly, monthly maintenance

For OS X maintenance (if Mac is not awake from 3 a.m.to 5 a.m.), I heard the following commands should be run via Terminal and I would like to know if there is a difference what each of those two commands do.

sudo sh /etc/daily ("daily" can be exchanged for weekly or monthly)

sudo periodic daily ("daily" can be exchanged for weekly or monthly)

Do both of them peform basically the same thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.