General Maintainence Problems On TiBook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Stan, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Stan macrumors member

Running a 1GHz G4 Tibook, OSX 10.3.6...

Experiencing a couple of little difficulties which I think might be general maintainence issues. Wondered if anyone could help..

My TiBook seems to start running really slowly every other time I log into it. For example, when I log out of Safari, it will take 30 seconds to a minute to close the page (the spinning ball appears for the time). Also, it can take the same time to respond to a command (ie if I open iCal, Preview or Text Edit - some small program - it will hang for 1 to 2 minutes before opening). And finally, every so often, the system will freeze altogether - the only response being from the mouse - I can move it, but it will not click on anything.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? I have cleared out the hard drive of files as much as possible, run disk utility and closed the machine so the auto hard disk recovery runs, but still the problem remains.

I run exactly the same software and files on a G3 iMac 450, and that works just fine.

Cheers for your responses.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Also

Create another user and see if you have same problems. If not, you probably have some corrupt preference files.

4. Priestwood macrumors newbie

I've had similar problems

Hi,

I've had similar problems with my 1GHz Powerbook since 10.3 was introduced and have begun to wonder if this is a problem with this specific model.

I own both Norton Utilities for Mac and ProTools 4 (Micromat) and am resigned to running them preemptively once every couple of weeks. Be sure that you run from the CD (Norton's) or from the eDisc (ProTools) so that you can repair the boot volume. (Check with Norton's and see if the problem is a bunch of B-Tree errors; if so, Norton's can fix it.)

Good luck!

Priestwood

5. Stan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all for the replies. Used some of the utilities listed here and on the thread titled 'just come back from PC world', onyX in particular worked brilliantly. Seems to be responding better, will see how we go from here. Just one more question - I was under the impression you could not run fsck -y if you are using OS10.3. Can anyone confirm this?