General OS X problems (please try to help)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iEugene, Oct 4, 2006.

1. iEugene macrumors regular

iEugene

Okay, my friend and I are having some odd problems with OS X that have just seemed to suddenly pop up, some may not be listed as "problems" but either way we'd like them fixed. ANY help will be great, as in we don't have a clue on how to resolve the issues.

1) For me, I still cannot play the Keynote from the music event, as well as not being able to play the WWDC 06 video before it was taken down. When I click on it, QuickTime will open and it will say "buffering" for an infinate amount of time and will never load, and since I don't have Pro, I cannot save it, any thoughts?

2) I am wire connected to the internet, however recently each time I boot up OS X it asks me if I want to wirelessly connect to the wireless internet (it's picking up my neighbors one) and I have no idea why this message comes up, or how to make it so it doesn't.

3) Has anyone else noticed that since the new update from Apple, that OS X is running slower or lagging more often? Is it his just my Mac or has anyone else seen this? It's annoying to see it lag (not major, just little things just things like a little slower loading programs and the dock isn't smooth when too many apps are open).

4) My friend use to be able to stream quicktime files, they would load completley and then he could play them.....Now when he tries to load something it buffers (as mine does) forever and refuses to load.

I apologize for the (may be) small problems

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

1) I believe a Quicktime update was issued around the same time as 10.4.8. Check to see if you have the latest version.

2) Go to System Preferences>Network. In the pop-up menu next to Show, select Network Port Configurations. Unclick the box next to Airport. This should keep your machine from checking for wireless broadcasts.

3) Run Disk Utility, and Verify and Repair permissions.

4) See #1

3. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

Well aside from the Quicktime thing, all else worked. Quicktime still is in infinite buffering.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I have always had that problem streaming with Quicktime, on all my Macs through 10.3 > 10.4, and through 2 different Macs. Its a strange one, I would like to know a fix, or at least why.

It's annoying, because it just crashes the work PC completely and endlessly buffers on the Mac when trying to watch any of the Keynote Streams.

5. frenetic macrumors regular

I once had this problem of quicktime buffering forever, and if I remember correctly it was a plug-in which stopped quicktime from connecting to remote servers... If I where you I would take out all of the standard plug ins from userfolder/library/quicktime, as well as from hd/library/quicktime, and see if the problem persists.

6. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

Where exactly is that?

7. frenetic macrumors regular

well, like I said:

a. in the home folder of your user, then library, then quicktime. I only have xvid_codec v0.5.1.component in there.

b. at the root level of your hard disk, library, quicktime. I only have 3ivx, divx and flip4mac components in there.

You might also want to check in your firewall settings if you have the quicktime ports open.

8. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

Okay this is odd, I don't seem to have a Quicktime folder in my library, I searched in Spotlight, and all it does is show me the player in the apps folder.

Any thoughts?

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That means you don't have any plugins at all, don't worry it's normal.

10. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene

Where do I get the plugins to stream things like the Keynote?

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I had quicktime streaming problems. Go into System Preferences > QuickTime > Streaming > Choose your manually, DON'T use automatic

All should work now :)

12. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Well did that work iEugene? Let us know.

13. iEugene thread starter macrumors regular

iEugene