General Q: Is it worth buying a Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aidang, May 24, 2006.

1. aidang macrumors newbie

May 24, 2006
    I don't have the kind of cash to buy a macbook or macbook pro, so I have been venturing ebay and what not, and I realised it's cheaper to by a powerbook...

Ive always wanted a mac, and I only need it for...

Word Processing
    Graphics ie Photoshop

So, is it worth it?
  2. knackroller macrumors regular

Feb 28, 2006
    I assume you mean "second-hand" Powerbook. In that case, for a second hand ibook G4 and pump up the Ram to 1GB
  3. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2006
    Yes, in your case it would be fine. At my local CompUSA, they are still selling the 17-inch Powerbook, which is seated right next to the 17" MBP. Weird thing is, the price for the powerbook is the same at $2499:eek: .
  4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc

You can afford a used powerbook, but not a new MacBook?

That doesn't make any sense... used powerbooks still command upwards of $1000 used, why not get a new, Intel based, MacBook?
  5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area

Not to mention Photoshop... ;)
  6. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2006
    Under the sun
    Don't buy the cheapest you can afford if it's not right for you and not a necesity. If what you have works now, save up those pretty pennies and get something newer and better (if you can afford a 2nd hand ibook/pb, it shouldn't take you long to save up for a macbook)
  7. aidang thread starter macrumors newbie

May 24, 2006
    I'm hoping to score one off ebay....

You can find some cheaps ones...
  8. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Check out the Apple Refurb Store for some good deals on the MacBook Pro and the Powerbook.

Do you qualify for purchases from the Apple Education Store?

Personally, I'd be scared of buying a Mac off of eBay. The Marketplace section of the MacRumors forums have several 'books for sale.

I'm considering a refurb Powerbook myself.
  9. aidang thread starter macrumors newbie

May 24, 2006
    What about purchasing mac products off ebay? Is it suggested...incl. iMac, Mac Mini, iBook, Powerbook
  10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    On eBay, anything that seems ridiculously cheap is very likely a scam.
  11. Reno404 macrumors member

May 19, 2006
    Brussels, Yurop
    Worth buying a Powerbook? Well look. Powerbook means mac, means apple. Apple was founded by Forrest Gump. Need I say more?
    Get a pen and paper, some cisors and some color pencils. Old-school way. Works fine for me and i'm a healthy boy.