General question about Bootcamp.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bradallen, Dec 5, 2006.

1. bradallen macrumors newbie

bradallen

Hey everyone, i recently bought my first mac (Mac Mini) but I'm not new to them, so I do have experience with the OS. I'm very good with computers all all types and I am currently taking Computer Programming in College.

At my College you have to LEASE a DELL laptop (that is almost 3 years old) for $1,200 CDN a YEAR!!. It comes with all the software I need, but it sucks. Recently the Program started discussing this issue and said that we are most likely going to be allowed to buy our own laptops and get them set up with the software instead.

Here's my question:

If i use bootcamp and install windows XP pro, should everything such as connecting to a domain, and compiling programs will work flawlessly?

would you recommend buying a Macbook and install bootcamp, or just buy windows designd laptop just to be safe. its a matter of opinion / know issues with bootcamp / mac hardware working in a largedomain and compiling software. (run on sentence, yay!)

And go!

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

If you install Windows under bootcamp, when running Windows your computer is no different to any other Windows computer. So yes, everything will work flawlessly. Flawlessly everything will work. Work, everything will flawlessly.

3. bradallen thread starter macrumors newbie

bradallen

awesome, thats just what i thought.
    i read about it a lot.

i just dont want to drop $1,700 on a laptop then have to pay for Visual Studio, and the whole mircosoft office suite, then find out "oh, your windows can't compile a simple program because of the hardware."

4. bradallen thread starter macrumors newbie

bradallen

Okay, little more complex:

What if the installation of windows is an image of windows and all the software installed on it? therefore i couldn't install it through bootcamp. id have to install windows through bootcamp first, then on the windows side open and mount hte image to over write the current windows OS.

do you think that's do-able?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Definitely doable (though I have not tried it) if all you want to have is Windows on the internal drive. With OS X dual boot this might be an issue if the imaging software doesn't understand the Boot Camp partitioning scheme...

You could still boot OS X from an external drive...

B

6. charkshark macrumors member

charkshark

In Bootcamp you are only running windows, just to back this statement up once again. Everything you do with your windoze laptop, you'll be able to do with bootcamp.