General Questions about OSX Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by gatepc, Feb 23, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA
    Alright so I have a 2007 mac mini 1gb ram 1.83ghz C2D and am planning on installing a 2gb ram module myself to up it to 2.5gb's of ram so I meet requirements for 10.6 server ( requires at least 2gbs of ram) This is my primary computer for daily task and photo editing but I plan on turning this into a very basic server to run a photography page, a blog, and a phpbb3 forum. ( i know its not smart to use your server as a personal computer as well but thats the only computer I have and I don't have money for another one ) but here is my question : will I be able to install normal OSX apps like Aperture, Photoshop, Skype etc Also I have used a linux server before is there big difference or anything I should know about running OSX server? The site is not important which is complimented by the fact that I am going to be running it off my broadband connection ( not business class ) using to get it to work without a static ip.

Right now I am running a basic http server off of my mac mini with the web sharing feature on OSX you can see it here : ( yes its coded with iWeb I did not get around to custom making a site yet ) ( also am going to buy a domain soon)

anyway thanks for anyone who takes the time to read this huge block of text and answers my questions.
  2. macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Oct 19, 2009
    Cedar City, Utah

You will be fine, the server will only use a small amount of cpu and
    bandwidth to feed the users logging in. The only time I see things
    getting bogged down is working, actually working on a LARGE image in
    Photoshop or something. Even then I think you'll be okay.
    Just try not to do too many things at once and you'll be fine imho.
    Watch the system resources ^_^

Let me know if you need any custome made logos or anything
    for your site. Just go to my site (in my sig) and fill out a request
    form with info on the colors etc that you want.

I do all my design on my Mini, it's newer but they are awesome little
    buggers. I have quite a bit of experience in the server side of things,
    used to manage an ISP.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA
    Thanks for the offer on graphic design but I will probably do it myself when I get the chance. I only know html right now but I plan on using this as a learning experience so I can study css javascript etc

thats an interesting job you had, what did you have to do at your job? ( just interested ) lucky for me my ISP's TOS allow for personal web servers. My ISP ( Time warner ) must hate me, my average monthly bandwidth based on 7 months of data collected on my router that runs the tomato firmware is around 450gb's a month of transfer haha