General questions, I just bought a new ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hushreality, Oct 20, 2004.

1. hushreality macrumors newbie

Oct 4, 2004
    I just bought a new 12" ibook, upgraded the HD to 60gb, going to upgrade ram when I have the money.

1. Is there anyway you can upgrade 32mb DDR video memory to 64 mb? (wishful eventual CoreImage Tiger user)

2. re: VGA video out on the ibook vs Mini-DVI out / DVI & S-Video out on the powerbooks.

Other than DVI being 'better quality', what am I missing here? I don't know much about VGA or DVI - so a simple explanation (ie: you wont be able to do this on the ibook) would be great.

3. How's airport express? Any complaints? Is it better to go with Airport Extreme (and loss the itunes feature). I live with two other roommates and they have two PC's, I just wanted to confirm does airport express allow a comp to be hardwired in?

That's it for now! Thank you
  2. kugino macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2003
    1. no
    2. the dvi out lets you use the apple cinema displays with dvi without having to use some complex analog-digital converter. for most people analog vga is perfectly fine in terms of quality.
    3. i only use air express as an extender and for air tunes...and it works pretty darn well. i'm not sure how it fares as THE base station in a wireless setup, though...
  3. anthonymoody macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    I have a 2 monitor set up (admittedly on a PC), one via DVI, one via VGA, and the text is noticeably easier on the eyes on the DVI. One's an 18 incher, the other a 17 incher. When I switch cables, I get the same thing (i.e. it's not the monitors). Could I live happily with a VGA connection, particularly if there were no DVI connected monitor next to it? Sure. Is the improvement from DVI noticeable? Oh yeah.