General Safari Information Needed...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmsait19, Dec 25, 2006.

1. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2004
    Okay, maybe not so general, but here goes...

At my work we just got some wireless routers installed. They use that web-based kind of logon thing where you actually go to a webpage to logon and it pops up with a little accept dialog box for the privacy policy...

The problem I am having is that I like to use safari's popup blocker, but if it blocks this particular popup then I can't logon... Is there a way around this?

Secondly... Is there a way anyone knows of where I don't have to type in my username and password anytime... Can I use keychain to make it recognize when this site pops up and have it automatically enter my username and pasword?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

It's not brilliant, but would hitting COMMAND-K before and after accessing this page be an option? That should toggle the popup blocker. :)

Some pages bypass the ability to use Keychain for security reasons. If it doesn't ask you whether you want to keep the password (and never has done), then you probably can't. Sorry mate. :eek:
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    1. there are different type of pop-ups and warnings, if safari couldn't distinguishing them, then safari would be a failure
    2. even if safari block all pop-ups without analysis, there should be a whitelist u can edit, if not, safari would be a real failure

try omniweb, if you dont want to use firefox and/or opera, omniweb has simplest control, sure not as good as firefox, but i guess u like webkit core product, so give it a try.
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Safari in the past has been very good (better than Firefox) at knowing which pop-ups to allow to pass through... but as said, there isn't a lot of selectivity ... it's designed to be simple, rather than versatile. As much as what Clevin said makes sense, as far as I know, there is no simple way to white-list pages in Safari....

But then there *are* so many other good options. To be honest, I looove Firefox 2 (with GRapple EOS and Adblock) on both my Macs. I don't even have Safari in the dock on my iBook. :eek: