Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomGolden

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
El Dorado county, CA
Hello all,

I have a general question about VPNs for Macs, iOS devices, Windows, any kind of device that you use on the internet.

I've been seeing a lot of ads in various places for a host of VPN services lately, some paid, some free. Many of the paid ones are touting that they have a large number of servers spread all over the world to better hide your location, as well as prevent a bottleneck on your throughput when using a VPN service that might only have a few servers, which I have definitely experienced myself.

My question to you all is: Any recommendations on which are worth using on a regular basis, or any to avoid at all costs.

Many thanks.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
PIA gets my vote. Easy to setup using their software, doing it through the browser or setting it up through your router. Very cost effective and support is fast. With PIA I can get my regular bandwidth whenever I need, which is 135-150 Mbps. I've heard of other people managing to get 300 Mbps out of their PIA connection when they have 300 Mbps through ISP or a bit more.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm curious if this question is on the focus of using VPN in order to connect to a corporate network? If so shouldn't the inquirer have information of what standard for VPN connectivity is required prior to searching?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hello all,

I have a general question about VPNs for Macs, iOS devices, Windows, any kind of device that you use on the internet.

I've been seeing a lot of ads in various places for a host of VPN services lately, some paid, some free. Many of the paid ones are touting that they have a large number of servers spread all over the world to better hide your location, as well as prevent a bottleneck on your throughput when using a VPN service that might only have a few servers, which I have definitely experienced myself.

My question to you all is: Any recommendations on which are worth using on a regular basis, or any to avoid at all costs.

Many thanks.

Don;t go with free VPN only services... You'll hit a brick wall somewhere down the line..... "They logs traffic" or don't always tell the truth, slower much slower than normal over VPN. server downtime, and/or lack of payment options..

Private Internet Access is good. but i use independent as i have smart DNS service which also provides VPN as well..

VPN connection will depend on speed, which is why they always ay use closest VPN server to location u'll currently in, but i have no troubles connecting to Netherlands from Australia, and get full 8MBps speed of my connection. I have 8MPBs DSL, anyway so its not even half the speed... it's pratically full speed... but there is overhead.

If this is to cooperate networks (eg. work), then you would have it already set up by IT person.

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
When I was looking for a VPN service, I did quite a bit of research and the consensus was that PrivateInternetAccess was among the best. This was from reviews as well as users. So that's what I went with and it has worked well for me for about 2-3 years.

Reactions: TomGolden

TomGolden

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
El Dorado county, CA
Thanks everyone.

This is purely for personal use. My employer provides their own VPN to connect to my work network/systems when I work from home or other remote locations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.