Generic AC adaptor causing touchpad problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 262Runnr, Jan 23, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

262Runnr

I purchased a second generic AC adaptor on Ebay so I wouldn't have to keep moving my Apple adaptor from room to room. I noticed that my touchpad was acting erratic. After a couple of weeks of this behavior, I decided to ditch the generic adaptor, which I was using frequently, and only use the Apple AC adaptor.
    My problems with the erratic touchpad seemed to have disappeared...and hopefully will stay gone :). Could the generic adaptor really have been the issue and caused the erratic touchpad problems?

2. macrumors member

You should never cheap out on the power supply. As a weak or poorly made PSU can kill the rest of the components in a computer.

3. macrumors member

It is electrical interference, I had a third party ac adapter and it did the same thing with my trackpad and my tv nearby.

4. macrumors 68000

power supply = important.
    unfortunately chinese knock-offs don't cut it.

5. macrumors 68030

Check if it's grounded. Using an ungrounded adapter (including the short plug with Apple's own PSU) can cause trackpad issues.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

262Runnr

I'm using the Apple short plug and it seems to be working fine. I stopped using the generic and haven't had any issues since then.