Generic Printer Driver?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OscarTheGrouch, Mar 15, 2007.

1. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Is there one?? I cannot get my MAcbook to print on my lexmark x7300 series printer.. Lexmark website does not list a driver. Are there any generic ones out there?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Search for the GIMP printer drivers, they are open source printer drivers and there are a lot of them out there.

3. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Its pretty simple, you find a Guten driver that is compatible with your printer, install it and see how it works out. There isn't always support for all features of a given printer, but it is better than nothing.

5. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Does anyone know of a printer driver for the HP LaserJet 1600?

6. OscarTheGrouch thread starter macrumors 6502

7. simonrocker macrumors newbie

printer drivers

Does any one know of how i would get my lexmark x3480 to work my imac intel osx 10.4, just cant the damn thing to print and doesnt seem to be any drivers for it on lexmarks site.....

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

First, there are some generic drivers that are included with OSX. If you didn't throw them out to save space (as is often advised), what comes up under System Preferences > Print & Fax > Printing?

Assuming nothing included or suggested works, write Lexmark and tell them how much you like their printer and how sorry you are that they don't support yours under OSX. It appears that Lexmark no longer makes the 3480 but they bothered to write a Vista driver for it. At the very least they should know that not supporting OSX has consequences.

Finally, it's just a $90 printer. You can get a perfectly fine, and compatible, all-in-one printer from HP or Epson for the same price. Why support a company that doesn't support you? Best wishes.

9. simonrocker macrumors newbie

x3480

it sees the printer on the computer just when you go to print nothing happens...think i might have to buy a new printer!!! already wrote to lexmark but havent got back....