Generic thread title

Discussion in 'Community' started by James Philp, May 21, 2005.

1. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Please can we stay away from posting technical threads with generic titles!
    Not only is it a bad idea because you are unlikely to attract interest from people who will know your problem and how to help, but it is damn annoying when one goes onto a thread one has read before, because it could be anything, and one can't remember all the posts visited!
    In technical advice threads could we please try to have some kind of reference to the problem you're having and a SPEC of the machine if relevant too! It will help all-round!
    A few recent culprits:
    help!!
    switcher with dumb questions
    Help a friend
    Incredibly Stupid Questions
    I have decided....
    Would you buy this software?

OK that's enough, you get my point, these threads could have anything in them!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree that the titles need to be kept specific but I don't think we need to go so far as putting the machine specs in them just yet.

3. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

I realize this - i meant for when it's relevant - ie a hardware problem with a peripheral or compatibility or slowdown problems etc.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, fair enough. I agree with you there but it's kind of a moot point anyway because the real issue is all the new members posting problems without relevant or specific titles. Unfortunately, I don't think this thread will really do anything to solve that, but at least it'll remind some of the regulars to keep it specific. :)

5. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

True, it's the noobs or unfamiliars, and this thread will make less of a dent that a fly's ass on my windscreen. I'm just getting so sick of going onto threads multiple times cos I cant remember the content, or going somewhere and realizing I cannot help at all because its about hardware/software I have never used, that could easily have been mentioned in the title.

For example: I could have called this thread "I am getting so sick of..." or "This is really bugging me..." but that wouldn't help anyone would it!?

6. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Official generic post

Help!!!!! When will it ship? Repair permissions. LOL. Why can't I have an avatar? Wait until WWDC. Get more RAM. Shure E3cs. AppleStore is down. Question about Photoshop. Doom3 on my mini. Copying music from my iPod. OMG!!!!! Tiger isn't working properly. What kind of install? Connect my Mac to a PC. Viruses?! Should I get this external harddrive? It screams!!! This bitrate sounds best. Windows sucks. Marketshare. George Bush is a fool. Maybe on Tuesday...

8. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

Well that should mess up the search function! :D
    Shure E3cs? Does this mean I'm a culprit with this thread? Hope not - was trying to answer questions rather than ask them!?

9. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

10. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I thought this thread was going to be about a thread title generator.

11. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Funny

Kind of funny - I came to this thread to find out what it was about, assuming someone put "Generic Thread Title" because they couldn't think of what to title their thread. I never would have thought that that would be the actual topic. :)

I used to hang out at the Stargate forum on SciFi, and it was amazing how many threads were titled "Stargate". It'd be like having a thread titled "Mac Rumor" here.

And Spotlight will only make it worse as people don't have to be as careful about titling their own files. ;)

Maybe everyone should be required to work with 8 character file names when they start using computers to get good at thinking about how to be specific in a small space.

12. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Thank You James. :)

I was noticing this also but I decided not to flip out. :p

I hope this thread does some good.

900th post!

13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Oh, here's another one:

Generic thread title

Seriously, could this be MORE of a hypocritical thread?

I mean, if you posted it in the Site section thats one thing, but in community discussion, it could be about anything having to do with thread titles...

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....don't get your hopes up. If people can't be bothered reading the "guidelines for getting help" stickies or the general forum rules etc then they are not going to pay attention to this either. As I said a little while back in another thread - it is one of the reasons why I spend a lot less time here. I am just tired of the same questions being asked over and over again by people that cannot be bothered to even do the simplest of searches. I like to help, but I also expect people to at least make some effort to help themselves too.....oh yeah!

15. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

I think then you may have missed my point...
    People sick of generic thread titles would go on this from absolute disgust, post in support and then maybe people will start to notice, geddit? ;)

Anyway, here's another classic newer one..
    Anything exist for this?

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a good point, but I still don't think this thread will really have all that much effect on the new members. Maybe if we spend more time trying to solve their problems instead of complaining about titles these threads could go the way of a good cat and just die. ;)

17. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

If we help they will continue to do it.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a bit paradoxical though because if we keep posting, the thread remains alive, but if it gets too big, the new members won't read it. I'm not criticising your efforts James Philp, I'm just stating what I see. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you've made the effort to make things run a little smoother around here. :)

19. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Lol... Only 10 new "Tiger Bugs" or "WTF APPLE IS MAKING ME PAY LIKE $130 FOR THIS TIGER THING!!!" threads a day...

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Um, no one is making you read them...and you're responding to them doesn't really help your argument. There are always going to be stupid threads and misinterpreted ideas in the titles, but you don't have to make it a special cause to fix it all. I'd just suggest you try not to let it bother you and if you see a thread title that is obviously lacking to just keeping on going by and pass it up entirely if its going to bother you that much.

D

21. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Agreed, I don't think this will help at all, other than for some venting.

Another unfortunate result of poorly titled threads is that when people actually do use the search feature to find information there will be an abundance of badly labeled threads in the results. This in turn, makes it more difficult to find the information/answers you are seeking and so more people will repost, some with generic titles, which in turn... --> *begin endless vicious cycle*

I agree with Mr. Anderson, the best you can do is try to ignore it and post to the threads that interest you and ignore the fluff and repetition.

22. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

yeah, i was thinking along the same lines *chuckles*. perhaps "keep thread titles specific" might have been a better thread title here.

I do agree with what james is saying on the whole, but to be honest i don't really notice (i'm too used to it i guess) unless the thread title is really 'out there'.

EDIT: {Oh dear, i just saw this as a thread title! :eek: }

hate to beat a dying horse...

23. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If we're going on hopeless, but well-intentioned, crusades, I'd like to vent over signatures that take up more room than the messages that accompany them.

Although we're spared the images that some forums allow in their sigs, I wish people would keep it to 2 or 3 lines in a reasonable font/colour. If you have more than 3 lines to say, blog it and make one of lines a link to the blog. ;)

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thankyou! I was just thinking of starting a thread about this but I couldn't be bothered. There's nothing worse than massive signatures with mini-autobiographies! :mad: