Generic USB external disk drive problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gfroyle, May 12, 2004.

1. macrumors member

I have a G4 PB15" and I am trying to use a generic (el-cheapo) external 20Gb USB harddisk. I plug it in to one of the USB ports and it just starts to whir and click, but nothing ever progresses beyond that.

The drive works perfectly on my Windows and Linux machines...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gordon

2. macrumors member

locopano

its notgetting enough power to get the initialHDDspinning... does your el cheapo HDD enclosurehave a power input.... maybe your USB cableis faulty..

generally the constant boot up sound with no clickin gover into spining means there isnt ebnought power to getit spinning.. this is common with BUS powered external HDD (ie powered of the cable) not apowerpoint..

3. macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

since it isn't mounting on the desktop - is the drive mounting in disk utility?

4. thread starter macrumors member

5. thread starter macrumors member

6. macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

So why bother spending money on a power booster :D

BINGO!! a new drive ;)

7. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Check to see if it shows up in System Profiler (Applications --> Utilities --> System Profiler). Mac OS 10.3.3 introduced some problems with USB storage devices. If the drive does show up in System Profiler, try downgrading to 10.3.2. It will probably work then. Also, you could just wait till 10.3.4 is released, as I'm sure it will have a fix for this issue (Apple is aware of it).